Love your red heads! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Love your red heads!

and a pike and pickerel palooza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red heads.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pike palooza.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1184  
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Love your red heads!

very sweet...funny thing, i painted a few red heads last night. i have been eyeballing a pencil popper i got hanging thats painted up that way.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 AM

I just painted a whole buch of redheads myself.
Yours came out nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM
First Mate

You guys have inspired the living daylights out of me, so I dusted off the old 50's vintage wood lathe. It took me a couple nights to figure out how to through drill holes, with my drill press, but I finally have that nailed. Welding a 3/16 extension shaft onto a standard 3/16 twist drill didn't make the cut. A 1/8' brad point to start the hole and finishing with a 135 degree split point did the job. I came in from both ends and met in the middle. So now I can get a 1/8" diameter through 7+ inches of wood and have it come out where I want. I've been successful with both pine and poplar. Now that I have them through drilled, I shaped a needlefish type popper in the pine and will work the poplar tonight.

I hit a fly tying shop, up in Bedford, NH, and picked up some bucktail, fly tieing line, and fish eyes. I put bucktail on 4 hooks last night and will use them as trailing hooks. I used white bucktail with a pink/red fly tieing line.

I should be ready for linseed oil sealer this weekend, and then I "try " to not make a mess out of a paint job. I picked up some sparkles at a craft store, so I thought I would try some of those on one of the lures.

For the top coats, I was going to use something like Rustolium cut with acetone so I can get it through an airbrush. Do you think that will work? It's oil base. My wife has a mess of acrylics, but I'm not sure how a waterbase paint would hold up. For a final topcoat, I was going to use something as crude as some 5 minute epoxy. Do you think that's to crude?

I'll post pictures, when I done, with a disclaimer that they might only catch real hungry blue fish.

Rick
Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
LunkHead

Hey Rick,
First off, welcome to our addiction, do you know a good divorce lawyer?
Second, search this forum and you'll find answers to LOTS of questions, a lot of good info here.
To answer a couple of your questions, I spray cheapo acrylic paints, my kids have about 300 colors, I find they need to be thinned a bit to spray well, with the pearls and metallics needing more thinning than solid colors.
I used 5 minute epoxy on my first few lures, but i found that the 30 minute Devcon 2-ton type gives me more woking time, and flows out better, than the 5 minute types, BUT.....you may have to spend a little time spinning them or hanging/flipping them till the epoxy sets up to avoid runs. But boy does it look nice. Some of the more productive builders use other 2 part products like etex, System 3 & others.
Have fun!

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

home depot has a 2 part funiture epoxy with the stains and eurethane made by famawood...real good stuff, envirotex lite 2part epoxy can be found at michaels craft supply stores in small bottles really really good stuff, 3m 2part clear epoxy can be found at any quality auto parts and body supply, like carquest or fisher, it comes in syringes like the devcon. and devcon can be found at wal mart and other fine retailers across the country. or you could just dip em in eruethane after you paint em.