Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Delware river is killing me!!!!

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
I've been trying to fish the Delaware river for the last week. 5-2- 5-7 and have not caught a thing. Not even a catfish. Been trying to catch anything for my kid and still nothing.... Using bunker ,clams, worms etc...

Fishing from a boat north of the Tacony and tried even down that way...

Any suggestions...

New to this by the way...

I have decent rods and using braid

#2 ·
new myself...striper that is. Normally a saltwater boat guy, but because of work started fishing weekends below the commadore barry. Only fished striper in the fall off a friends boat. I started in the river last fall. bloodworms work, clams work, shrimp work, and even chicken livers. I still havent pulled a legal sized one in. just keep fresh bait on your line. I have had the best luck with cherry stone clams, got them at pathmark. Just crackem open and hook them up. got two 20 inch striper and some cats. But all of the bait works...just matters what the fish are bitin on. Best thing i got is the weight sliders you put above your leader. the help big time. fyi... RAW shrimp catch big cats.

#3 ·
Fish with a manufactured fish finder rig.These fish r big and u need to tie braided line correctly to swivel. I use 4 0z weights at times. At this time fish with bunker in strips and have hook exposed and dead stickem.They hook themselves. Use a 7/0 0r 8/0 circle hook. Good LUCK.

#4 ·
fluorocarbon leader in a 15# or even 10....wearing bright color hats/shirts... knocking around the boat or making noise of any sort "like talking loud" will spook fish... a bass can hear you talking over a 4 stroke motor on the water..... stealth is one of my pet peeves... call me crazy but, it's simple to spook these fish in skinny water and no amount of tempting food will make em wanna go back to an area till you leave... get out to where you wanna be fishing early and anchor up and have some coffee and wait... don't allow a fish time to figure out your a predator.. casting a freaken lunker of a rig into the water will startle them... be stealthy in your quest. "especially on a river system" find the ally's and highways that fish come in and out of the river in... most guys fishing there will NEVER tell a sole this info. takes waaaaay to long to figure out and nobody is gonna give privvy info like that out readily.. so do homework on your choice of real estate... the only way to successfully fish it is to know it inside out... don't give up or get frustrated.. every good fisherman knows the ins and outs of his or her haunts and spots... hope i didn't tick anyone off by my tough love kinda demeanor but it works for some...go git emalright.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.