NewB Targeting Landlocked Striper - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Official Member

Default NewB Targeting Landlocked Striper

Hey Everyone - I am brand new to this site. I am from Birmingham, AL. Primarily learned to target largemouth bass in the last 2 years, but now interested in learning to target the landlocked striper in Lewis Smith Lake nearby.

I have become more interested first of all in throwing big baits to target trophy largemouths and I figured that at smith lake I could also get on a striper bite too.

I had my first outing on Smith lake saturdays ago - tossed huddleston 6 inch trouts on a variety of points on rock creek and a lunker punker as well to see if there was a topwater bite.

Skunked - couple of follows from a couple dink LM's.

Anyway, I have no clue as to how to predict these stripers' locations and movements and I was hoping you all would help me. I asked a family member that is a veteran saltwater angler in New Jersey (deleware bay) and he suggested that I troll around or near the damn first with what I have at various depths as well as perhas something like stretch 25's (which I have never used yet). Troll till you find them.

I have read about half of the striper 101 section so far, not done yet.

Anyway, any pointers for me or resources. Not sure if many folks on here have fished smith lake??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Default Re: NewB Targeting Landlocked Striper

Try using this search keyword Lewis Smith
A study done in 2007 suggested the striper diet to be 64% shad and 12% crawfish in Lewis Smith Lake.
I would suggest taking a guide trip out there.
Bill Vines www.striperfishingheadquarters.com

What you can learn on one trip with a knowlegeable guide will defray the costs in gas and bait alone over the season learning by trial and error.
The lake is 200 feet deep in spots.
Live shad, available locally, are the preferred bait.

Good luck. Post pics.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Official Member

Thanks, my neighbor has actually gone out with him before - its fairly pricey - but I would agree worth it in experience as I will likely waste much time otherwise!!

I have never fished live shad before - guess I will have to learn - cannot wait particularly to get a striper topwater bite. My wife's uncle told me that cloudy or very foggy days are best for topwater....

Are there many guys on here that fish such lakes? If so I was really quite curious to see if they caught any large mouth's while in pursuit of striper? I have heard stories of musky fisherman that frequently catch largies in the process as well.

Thanks for advice so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Official Member

bigebass--Have fished Lanier here in Georgia for last 15 years for stripes-have found fall-winter and spring to be best times for casting.I have only fished from sunset to about mid night duw to the boat traffic being so bad on Lanier during the day .Best lures here are the long a bomber-red fin and any swim bait about 6-8 inch long.Have a shallow mack painted flo. orange that has had the hooks changed 7 times on it.Best places seem to be any flats near deep water around any of the islands and any of the peaks.Have caught many 4-6 lb spots when throwing the above baits for stripes and actually landed a 8lb walleye(do not lip!!
Have just joined site since cannot continue to cast much without getting elbow sore.Have gotten bait tank and will be out Monday trying to downline blueback herring.Well keep updating my learning activitys so all can use.Heres hoping the sound of a drag is all over .Pinestreamkid.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 PM

thanks for the postup.