conventional reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Default conventional reel

Hello to all I am looking in to buying a new conventional reel so many and can not make a choice just looking for some opinons. Ok i have a 7 foot ugly stick and iam going to be drifting through a inlet with mostly eel, clam belly,shad i was looking at the shimano but not sure if i should go with a penn. So if i could get help i would appreciate it thank u.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 AM

Default Re: conventional reel

There are lots and lots of choices that will fit that requirement, most of which you'll find yourself replacing or upgrading at some point. However if you go with the best Abu 6000/6500 size levelwind reel you can afford, you will never regret the purchase.

How much you looking to spend ??
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM

two hundred at the most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro Staff

Penn 320LD would do nicely for around $140.00
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 AM

That's a good budget, short of a Shimano Te or Daiwa Luna you can get most any reel you want.

A great choice would be the Abu Record RCN60 - 6 BB, the new carbon matrix drag (much better then the older Abu drags) 5.3:1 retrieve, holding 145 yards of 14# test (that means it holds plenty of of braid)
Either that or the RCN60HC - same reel but higher line capacity, 245 yards of 14# test.

Both go for around $160 and can serve in multiple capacities from surf plugging to bait chucking. The RCN60 would be a better plugging reel though. The smaller spool makes casting light plugs a lot easier.

Whatever choice you make, get it with levelwind. That is unless you live south of Atlantic City NJ through the Outer Banks in NC, where much longer casts are necessary and you can't afford to give up the 5 to 10 yards you give up to the levelwind.
Levelwind makes life a LOT simpler, especially if you start using the reel to plug the surf.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Pro Staff

Isn't this a boat rod you're putting it on for drifting/bottom fishing from the boat?

You didn't mention it, but if you plan to be plugging with it as well, the Penn 320LD won't work for you. Sudsy knows his plugging reels
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm making the assumption that boxer doesn't have a conventional reel.

Based on that assumption, I picked what I believe is the best all purpose reel within his budget - A reel that can be used for everything from eeling, jigging and plugging from the boat to eeling, bait chucking and plugging from the sand.

If the only thing he's ever going to use the reel for is drifting bait from a boat then a used Penn Squidder for $30 off Ebay would be more than sufficient.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Conventional reel for the surf

Hey Sudsy; last summer, mid June in Wellfleet, Cape Cod, I spent a week at a cottage with family. There was a stiff on-shore wind, and pounding surf. I have a penn 704z, and an 11' penn rod. Using braided line, and a 2 ounce Storm Shad, I was under-whelmed by my cast distance.

This year, I'm willing to spend money on a nice 13' surf casting rod, but the catch is . . .

I have NO IDEA what reel to buy in order to get 500' or much more casting distance. Strictly plugging, and for distance is what I want.

I did catch a fish on almost every cast however! I was showing my little nephew how to cast: "OK, you swing the lure back and forth, and then launch it! Then you just reel it in sort of fast" I wasn't even paying attention when WHAM, good sized blue fish. My other nephew was using a $20 walmart special casting like 10 feet, and he caught a 30" in striper, first one he ever caught! We had a blast, and I just could not believe how many fish there were!

Cheers,
-Dana
Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM

My longest casting plugging set up is an 11' 9" Allstar Breakaway LDFC 119-2 (unfortunately long out of production) with an Abu mag Elite modified with the BB levelwind and BB winding cog. It throws far but I'm not getting 500' on a metal lip plug or rubber shad - in fact I don't know a single person who can do that. Shads and metal lips are not very aerodynamic plugs. Be happy with 50 yards, besides, on 90% of the beaches in the NE that's more then enough distance.
If you want to throw far stick to weight n bait, metal, Roberts Ranger style plugs, Poppers and pencils. All of those can be thrown more than 600' with the right equipment and practice.

For raw distance out of the box the Abu Blue Yonder and the Penn 525 Mag are by far the most popular reels but these do not come with a levelwind, something I believe is a necessity for plugging. For real distance you'll need a souped up hot rod Abu, specialty sideplates, bearings, magnets, spools...........$$$$$$$ - but these reels are designed purely for competitive distance over grass I don't know if they can stand up to the surf and salt.

That long cast reel won't do you a bit of good if the rod isn't up to the job. For even thinking about tossing a plug that far you'll need an English style rod, Zipplex, Century, Wheeler - these are big $ rods. If you want the performance for a better price I'd go with the AnyFish AnyWhere (AFAW) 13' rod.

Plugging with a 13' rod is going to be a killer. You'll be lucky to fish a half a tide before your arms are screaming.

If all you want to do is plug as far as you can without killing yourself the AFAW 11' estuary rod custom built dual purpose with lowrider guides teamed with a magged Abu or Abu Record and a Diawa Emblem Pro spinnng reel would be a truly great setup that, form the surf, could do whatever you want whenever you want

Go check out Tommy Farmers site, Carolinacastingpro . com
In the USA he's the man when it comes to talking distance.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Thank you Sudsy