Fishing The Hudson - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Fishing The Hudson

Fishing The Hudson

By John Haughey
Fishing and Hunting News

When
When conditions are good consecutive days of mild weather they'll move. When conditions are poor, they'll hunker down.
A myriad of factors influences this. In early spring, runoff from the Hudson's 14,000-mile watershed generates current to induce fish.
It will also funnel cold water into the river so furiously, fish will shy from tributary mouths or hold until a warming trend gets them moving.
A "normal spring" progression is, by late March, early spawners are nosing into the lower river where anglers often catch them above the George Washington Bridge off Palisades Interstate Park, Piermont, and in Tappan Zee.
By early April, they're off Croton Point and in Haverstraw Bay. By mid-April, they're off Cornwall and Newburgh.
Spawners are usually in Kingston and Catskill by mid-April, and by month's end, they've arrived at the tip of the Hudson's 152-mile tidal estuary, Federal Dam in Troy.
In May, the run peaks riverwide, with anglers catching inbound fish and postspawners from Manhattan's Battery Park to Albany.
Where
Look for structure near moving water. Some spots produce better on incoming tides, others on outgoing.
Determine current direction and how it relates to the bottom. Easier said than done on the Hudson, which often flows both ways.
In fact, the river's Indian name is Muhekannuk, or great waters that flow in both directions.
To pinpoint hot spots, get a tidal chart and current chart, such as those available at Haverstraw Marina (914-429-0404).
Fishing tails off on slack tides. Low-light conditions are best.
In March, best areas are along the lower river's west side from GWB to Piermont. This stretch is shallow and warms fast.
There is good access to the New Jersey shoreline along Palisades Interstate Park's shore trail.
Other good areas include Piermont Pier and around Tappan Zee Bridge.
Croton and Haverstraw bays are usually productive by early April, especially around the Indian Point nuclear power plant's warm-water outflow north of Croton.
Most early-season fish are schoolies, year-round residents up to 8 pounds, but Croton Bay is usually the first area to see big spawners.
Fish don't spawn here because water is too salty, but the bay's mudflats provide a warm area to feast on herring, which precede stripers upriver.
Good shorecasting areas include Croton Point Park Beach and a mile-long span north of Croton Yacht Club owned by the village of Croton.
Upriver and on the west shoreline, bankfishing is accessible from Nyack Beach State Park (845-786-2701) and the state access on Rt. 9W below Bear Mountain Bridge.
Stripers spawn anywhere above Bear Mountain Bridge, primarily in the Newburgh Bay area and the waters south of Kingston through Catskill.
Prime spawning habitat are gravel bottoms on flats. Allow stripers to spawn in peace. Target nearby rocky areas where postspawners and males feed.
Good midriver shorecasting areas include Plum Point Park in Newburgh, Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, Mills-Norrie State Park, Denning Point, Esopus Meadows, the mouths of Rondout, Esopus, and Catskill creeks, and Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge.
Also: Bristol Beach State Park, an undeveloped park with unmarked access near West Camp, 5 miles south of Catskill off Rt. 9W; village of Catskill ramp on high tides; and Hudson Highlands State Park launch in Coxsackie.

restored post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Fishing The Hudson

HUDSON RIVER TACKLE SHOPS AND CHARTERS.

Tackle Shops

Lower Hudson:
Buchanan Sports (914-739-0772) Buchanan
Bedford Sportsman, Inc. (914-666-8091;
bedfordsportsman.com
Bedford Hills
Al's Tackle Shop (914-738-4589) Pelham
Ceely's Bait Bucket (914-534-3495) New Windsor
Davis Sports Shop (845-753-2198) Sloatsburg
Matt's Sporting Goods (914-429-3254) Haverstraw
O&H Bait Shop (845-469-2566) Chester
River Basin Sport Shop (518-943-2111) Catskill

Mid-Hudson:

Certified Marine Port Ewen / Kingston
Fisherman's World (845-297-9664) Wappingers Falls
Sunset Sports Shop (845-255-7550) New Paltz

Dick's Sporting Goods
Phone: 845-297-4767
Fax:845-298-6723
Hours: M-Sat 9am - 9:30pm; Su 10am - 7pm
Address: Poughkeepsie Galleria
2001 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Upper Hudson:
Nichols Live Bait Shop (518-459-4463) Albany
Keith's Bait & Tackle (518-449-1229) Albany
Albany Sports (518-783-7075) Latham
Conroy's Bait 711 19th St Watervliet, NY 12189
(518) 273-2582

Charters/guides

Capt. Matt DeVito from Troy NY to Catskill.
Fish-n-trips.net
Capt Peter Kane (845-255-5407;
Ospreymarine.com), New Paltz
Capt. Brian Dawson (845-735-2185;
Pearl River
C and M Guide Service
Spyder Ryback - New Baltimore Coeymans Landing

Capt. Tony DiLernia (212-529-6910;
rocketcharters.com Manhattan
Capt. Grant Scott (570-223-9836;
[email protected]

Ray Ottulich (845-687-0869;
[email protected] Stone Ridge

Don Wood (518-434-1133), Glenmont
Getaway Charters (914-423-3474), Yonkers
Klondike Fishing Corp. (914-738-4593), Pelham
Northstar Charter (914-741-1354), Pleasantville
Hookher Charters (914-795-2620), Tarrytown
Hook-em Charters (914-426-3647), Piermont
Capt. Pete Schuman (518-283-5920), Rondout
Capt. Gerald Hempstead 518-827-5180;
[email protected]

Capt'n Jim's Charters, (845-331-8036), Kingston
Hudson River Guide Service (518-943-2686), Catskill
Hudson River Sport Fishing (518-828-7302), Greene County
Rip Van Winkle Outfitters (518-589-5541), Tannersville
Westwind Charters, Inc. (518-436-6506)
Captain James “Ace” Samia, ACE CHARTERS,
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/member.php?u=1945
Operates out of Coeymans landing Marina,
(14 miles south of Albany),
All Day Charters, 26’ Aquasport, All equipment, Striped Bass Mid April, June
Ace Charters ,
Cell 413 652 2063
[email protected]

Capt. Chuck Graham
Angler Sportfishing Charters
Lynches Marina Saaugerties 518-965-3718
Ang Charters

Polecat fishes out of Rondout Creek, Kingston,
REGAL FISHERMAN 22’ 973 835-3571
email:
[email protected]

Captain Ron King, Angler Charters, fishes out of Rondout Creek, Kingston, NY,
23ft Imperial Sportfisherman, Trolling only,
No bait. email:
[email protected]
315- 823- 2403

Captain Larry Jones , “Catch A Memory”, Chris-Lynn Charters, operates out of Rondout Creek, Kingston,
NY, 22’ Penn Yan Hardtop, April/May 802 265-3421 cell: 802-558-4662

Capt. Dan Lussier, Lazy D & Me Charters 25’ Baha Crusier Fishing on the Hudson River
for Striped Bass during month of May. All equipment supplied.
Call 1-802- 537-4171 or
[email protected]
U.S. Coast Guard Certified.

Captain Ron Zielinski, Reel Lucky. Rondout Creek, Kingston, NY
April/May Tel: 252-249-2128,
email: [email protected]

Hobo Charters, Captain Grant Scott, new 23’ Sea Swirl Glass Boat, Rondout Creek,
May Cell: 1-570-223-9836

Fast Trax Charters, Captain Paul Wizeman, fishes out of Hyde Park Marina, Hyde Park, NY,
26’ Sea Swirl, 845 635 8740
[email protected]

Captain Don Grippo, Hook-Em Charters, fishes out of Nyack, NY, March, April / May,
moves with the schools, fishes day or night 845 782 3397 or Cell: 845- 641-0310
[email protected]

Captain Eddie McBride, Crazy Eddie Charters. Fishes out of Haverstraw Bay area in Spring
and Montauk, NY the rest of year. Tel: 845 596 2192

Captain Bob Lewis, Telephone 518 943 3407 cell 518 929 1888
Fishes out of Saugerties during the months of April and
Boat called Fins & Grins, 24’ Seaswirl

USCG Captain Preston Lightsey, Ravena NY, 12143. 518- 756-8866
Fishes out of Coeymans Landing Marina, Coeymans, NY.

Captain John Mathews, “Sole Mate” Cell # 914 844 2636. 28’ Silverton Sportfisher. Fishes out of Verplanck,
[email protected]

Captain Steve Coby, Fishes out of Saugerties, NY., “Chance of a Lifetime Charters”,
27’ Sportcraft hardtop, Cell 914 443-8706,
email
[email protected]
website
Hudson River Fishing Charters

Stella Blue Charter Fishing, Captain Jeff Majak. Fishing from the “Stella Blue”, a 21’ Seaswirl Striper
WA, 1-3 persons Fishing from Croton Point to Saugerties, Ports: Peekskill, Poughkeepsie, Staatsburg.
Fishing worms,eels,cut and live bait, downriggers & flat line trolling
Stella Blue Charters
[email protected]
845-656-5384

Captain Chris Leachin
Call for a free promotional video 518 669-7379.
Email
[email protected]

Captain Bob Wason, Charter One, fish in style and comfort on a 27’ Luhrs tournament
5 hour trips out of Albany, Tel 518 369 0497
email
[email protected]

Triple F Adventures. I fish out of a 21” center consol . Day and Night fishing available .
Fishing Techniques using live bate and down rigging.
Video of your trip is available.1-888-800-9958 / 518-423-5051.
[email protected]
Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Please Let us know of tackle shop Updates and outdated links.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Talking Re: Fishing The Hudson

dam jim all this info lol and we cant track the striper's i never did find the tracking info for the migrating stripers lol WE CAN DREAM RIGHT LOL nice post
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

keep on me and i will post a theoretical migration that would be within days we only need record the beinning from the Carolinas. long story and will work on it this next couple months

Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
dam jim all this info lol and we cant track the striper's i never did find the tracking info for the migrating stripers lol WE CAN DREAM RIGHT LOL nice post

Wouldn't it be great if we could put some satelite tracking units in a few hundred stripers and check their progress up the river every spring?!? I have a hard enough time when I know they're at the Tappanzee Bridge for crying out loud.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the fish used to flourish in the hudson. every year is changing for some of these bands of fish as they leave montauk in the fall and seem to shoot straight down the coast without lounging about in the large numbers we used to get. the same seems to be the case with these fish coming up the coast as they seem to hit sandy hook and shoot straight across to the north shore of LI and though a large population of fish WILL shoot up the hudson, the fish that always took that path and drew a crowd with them have been decimated by the humongous population of poachers and thoughtless fishermen (imo) and have less a folowing to spawn there. the water isn;t as clean the first time around let me follow these fellows to maine. wow what a difference in water/food/etc. like i said, my opinion only and not scientific data. but whatta i know anyway. but onto your question about tracking. i would estimate the third week of may would be the prime time for you to target them in your area as they will have been on the move and here in numbers by then. friday 23rd thru sunday 25th will be the tides pushing up the strongest so i would venture they will move up with the water giving them the most advantage to expend least amount of energy. tight lines, zim

Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Lunker

Hey Zim are you saying about 3 rd week in May for Tappan Zee area?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Let me answer that for him Phil. ~60 degree water temps.
Usually 3rd week in May it begins. Sometimes earlier - sometimes later.
We will likely schedule ana gathering for that time period.

"Stripers spawn anywhere above Bear Mountain Bridge,
primarily in the Newburgh Bay area and the waters south of Kingston through Catskill".
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the date i said is what i am looking at but every year they are on a schedule and sea surface temps in the carolinas sort of determine the exact day they start to move i believe. not an exact science but they know the roads and avenues to where they wanna go so those days are a higher tide and tuesday the 20th is the moon so after that moon they will move again so i figure thats the projected movement and by movement i mean post spawners are hungry and alot of fish move up higher on an easier current and as jim said, the water will be optimum around that time. (imo that is)

Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbasskiller View Post
Hey Zim are you saying about 3 rd week in May for Tappan Zee area?

Aren't they usually well north of the Tap by then? If it's been warm enough, they've already spawned and are on their way BACK to the ocean, aren't they?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, they get to spawning and hang out for a while.the younger schools of immature not ready to breed fish precede those bitches and those are the monstrous amounts of fish (maybe 2-4 yr olds) you readily catch in mid to late april. in may that particular week is good cause the bigger fish are more likely to feed longer before moving but that moon is probably the one you;ll see more fish as the current will be zipping em down and on thier way. these fish are on a time shedule if you will. but if you noticed in the past several years the fishing has been scattered about and the moon will always dictate when they move. once these fish move out of the river they book up to montauk and on to mass to the rivers sytems up there.but in no hurry as the bunker arrive and sometimes if the sandeels and alewives are abundant they chase em back up the river. if you watch them feed on herring in the early going you can see how the smaller ones fly after the bait and cut it off. then the larger ones catch up and feed along. but these arent even the bigger fish, they don;t need to book around like that after the spawn, they WILL find the food and you will see the biggest fish caught mid may as the smaller ones zip off and proceed on thier way to new ground. just watch, your fishing dwindles toward the end of may but if you get to the ambush spots at night where the shad frequent, those ladies are in no way gonna leave food to find food but they are not likely to take a plug or something out of ordinary, live bait is all you wanna be using= the hudon record was the second week of may as well as another 55lb cow by the name of mangold who caught his like may 10th of 2003. i;m tellin ya, if you wanna record fish it is the second or third week of may and i think it will be the later.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
yea, they get to spawning and hang out for a while.the younger schools of immature not ready to breed fish precede those bitches and those are the monstrous amounts of fish (maybe 2-4 yr olds) you readily catch in mid to late april. in may that particular week is good cause the bigger fish are more likely to feed longer before moving but that moon is probably the one you;ll see more fish as the current will be zipping em down and on thier way. these fish are on a time shedule if you will. but if you noticed in the past several years the fishing has been scattered about and the moon will always dictate when they move. once these fish move out of the river they book up to montauk and on to mass to the rivers sytems up there.but in no hurry as the bunker arrive and sometimes if the sandeels and alewives are abundant they chase em back up the river. if you watch them feed on herring in the early going you can see how the smaller ones fly after the bait and cut it off. then the larger ones catch up and feed along. but these arent even the bigger fish, they don;t need to book around like that after the spawn, they WILL find the food and you will see the biggest fish caught mid may as the smaller ones zip off and proceed on thier way to new ground. just watch, your fishing dwindles toward the end of may but if you get to the ambush spots at night where the shad frequent, those ladies are in no way gonna leave food to find food but they are not likely to take a plug or something out of ordinary, live bait is all you wanna be using= the hudon record was the second week of may as well as another 55lb cow by the name of mangold who caught his like may 10th of 2003. i;m tellin ya, if you wanna record fish it is the second or third week of may and i think it will be the later.
Actually it kinda makes sense because the last THREE New York record stripers were all caught on May 9th, which is way too weird to be simply coincidence.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

2000 was cold. 2001-2002 was warm like this. 2003 weather pattern was a real monstrous winter with mad snow. ice cold feb weather.(record fish 2000 and 2003 winter cold snaps)(no coincidence) i doubt a 50 will come out of the water as weather pattern dictates this historically anyway. but the amount of bait past 2 years will keep fish around for sure.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Lunker

thanks for the info guys...good news....I wasnt to fond of forcing my bro to put the boat in the water in April..... Getting it in the water the first week of May was more of his plan, that falls in step with this info....