Fisherman Drowns On L.i. Beach - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Fisherman Drowns On L.i. Beach

On June 9th, 2007 a fellow Surf Angler was lost to the sea.
William Rihm, 45 a city schoolteacher and father of two was found
Saturday June 9th off a Long Island beach where he drowned while fishing late
Friday night June 8th 2007.

New York Post Story
FISHERMAN DROWNS ON L.I. BEACH

WILLIAM RIHM
Body found on June 9th.

June 11, 2007 -- The body of a city schoolteacher and father of two was found yesterday off a Long Island beach where he drowned while fishing late Friday night, police said.
William Rihm, 45, was reported missing Saturday morning after he failed to return to his Setauket home.
Rihm, a physical-education teacher and avid angler, regularly waded into the waters off West Meadow Beach to fish in the evening.
His wife, Kathy, became concerned when he did not return home.
Suffolk County police, U.S. Coast Guard and local fire department volunteers began searching on Saturday and found Rihm's body at 2 p.m. yesterday.
Neighbors on the block where Rihm had lived for 10 years said he was a devoted father who was often seen shooting hoops with his kids.
"He was a wonderful man," said Pat Gould, 46. "He was very devoted to his family."
Rihm taught at P811, a special-education school in St. Albans, Queens.

From all accounts he was not an amateur surf caster and was a good swimmer based on facts from the school he taught at. He also took his students swimming and taught them the basics of swimming.
The email address below was setup for the Rihm family for all Surfcasters to send there sympathy and condolences.
Please make sure you let the Rihms know where you are from.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Fisherman Drowns On L.i. Beach

It's always the GOOD GUY"S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Pro Staff

That really sucks. I wonder what happened.
Did you know him Jim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 PM

No Bait but some of the guys from surfrats did.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 AM

EBay auction for his new unused Ron Arra Lami.

Fishstalker 62

http://www.threevillages.com

Setauket man lost to family, students
Fisherman, NYC special education teacher drowns at West Meadow Beach

By Lee Lutz
June 15, 2007 | 11:04 AM
Bill Rihm loved fishing. According to his wife, Kathy, her husband would be night fishing, often at West Meadow Beach, three or four nights a week.
"He'd fish the tides," Kathy Rihm said. "Sometimes he would go out at 10:30 and come home at two or three in the morning." She described fishing as "his top hobby — his only one really." And always, she added, "catch and release."
Rihm, from Setauket, was doing what he loved Friday night but, when he had not returned by Saturday morning, his wife went to West Meadow to look for him. She found his car, but not her husband. Rihm alerted the Brookhaven Parks Department staff on duty at the beach, who notified first the Old Field constable and then Suffolk County police, and an all-out search commenced. At one point the search team included the harbormaster, Coast Guard, several local fire department rescue teams and a police helicopter.
The search proved futile until 2:45 pm Sunday, when the helicopter spotted a body in three feet of water about 100 yards off shore.
Taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's office in Hauppauge, the drowned man was identified as William Rihm.
"He would wade out to the sand bar, timed with the tides," Kathy said, speaking in the den of their attractive home off Old Town Road. On the coffee table in front of the brick fireplace lay a dozen or so magazines: The Fisherman, Salt Water Fisherman and others.
Family, and it is a large family — Rihm, 45, had two older brothers and a younger sister; his wife has four older sisters — were gathering at their Setauket home this week for the services. The funeral was to be this morning, Thursday, at 9:30 am at the O.B. Davis Funeral Home on Route 347 in Port Jefferson Station.
Rihm was an "adaptive" physical education teacher in the New York City schools. "He always taught special ed," his wife said. "He liked what he did." Rihm taught autistic, Down syndrome and other special needs children.
Actually it may have been special education that brought the two together. According to close friend Cheryl Giovan of Setauket, the couple met when both were teaching special education students. Kathy Rihm, 38, was first a special ed teacher, then an elementary school teacher in the Middle Country School District. She left classroom teaching after 15 years last September to become the assistant principal at the Coram Elementary School in the Longwood School District.
Giovan described Rihm's death as a "devastating loss" and said, The man survived kidney cancer — then this." Giovan said Bill Rihm was treated for the cancer five years ago. Each year since, he was tested and was "clear." She also said the Rihms "were a team."
"Bill would leave early," Giovan said, since he commuted to the city. "Kathy would get the kids off to school." Then, she said, he would return early enough to meet the children after school, getting them to sports and other activities. Giovan said Rihm was a devoted father. "He would meet Emily at the bus stop because he didn't want her walking home alone."
The Rihms have two children: Emily, 13, a student at Gelinas Junior High School, and Tyler, 9, a student at Minnesauke Elementary School. The Rihms were both born in Queens and had been married 15 years. The family has lived in Setauket for 10 years, moving here from Port Jefferson Station.
"Bill was not just a phys ed teacher," said Lori Panetta, the instructional support unit teacher at the [email protected] School in St. Albans, Queens, where Rihm worked for the past 15 years. "Bill brought a smile to all the students all the time." Panetta add that Rihm had a nature that brought smiles to the staff as well. She described the school as very special, requiring a staff of 40 to supervise, teach and assist 50 students. Rihm was the only physical education teacher on the staff.
"He had a swim license," said Panetta, an unusual achievement that permitted Rihm to accompany multiple-disability students to local swimming pools, which he did regularly. "He would get into the water with the kids."
The school sent a letter to parents apprising them of the tragic accident. Panetta said that parents have been calling and visiting the school ever since, expressing their sorrow and dismay. Panetta said that due to the "very unique" school in which they teach Rihm saw "every class every day."
"We will never be able to replace Mr. Bill," said Panetta, using the affectionate nickname that students and staff alike used to address their teacher and colleague.
Nelly Mariani, one of Kathy Rihm's sisters, said of Rihm, "He loved his family — and loved fishing." Mariani had already arrived by Monday from Wellington, Florida to be with her sister, niece and nephew. "He was a great guy."
Kathy Rihm expressed her gratitude for the outpouring of support to her and the family.
"I will never be able to thank everyone enough," she said, noting the help given by the police, rescue teams, schools, friends and neighbors — "the whole community."
"I have been going to the beach each morning for a little serenity," Kathy Rihm said, then added, "He was a good dad and my best friend."
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

...a moment of silence for our fallen brother.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Unhappy Re: Fisherman Drowns On L.i. Beach

''rip'' Buddy
Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

This, as I read it again, makes me realize that I need to be more aware of my surroundings. Lets all be careful, guys and gals, really aware of what's going on.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Official Member

Hey guys if you go to ebay under surf rods the is a fund raiser for him so of his stuff up for auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
On June 9th, 2007 a fellow Surf Angler was lost to the sea.
William Rihm, 45 a city schoolteacher and father of two was found
Saturday June 9th off a Long Island beach where he drowned while fishing late
Friday night June 8th 2007.

New York Post Story
FISHERMAN DROWNS ON L.I. BEACH

WILLIAM RIHM
Body found on June 9th.

June 11, 2007 -- The body of a city schoolteacher and father of two was found yesterday off a Long Island beach where he drowned while fishing late Friday night, police said.
William Rihm, 45, was reported missing Saturday morning after he failed to return to his Setauket home.
Rihm, a physical-education teacher and avid angler, regularly waded into the waters off West Meadow Beach to fish in the evening.
His wife, Kathy, became concerned when he did not return home.
Suffolk County police, U.S. Coast Guard and local fire department volunteers began searching on Saturday and found Rihm\'s body at 2 p.m. yesterday.
Neighbors on the block where Rihm had lived for 10 years said he was a devoted father who was often seen shooting hoops with his kids.
"He was a wonderful man," said Pat Gould, 46. "He was very devoted to his family."
Rihm taught at P811, a special-education school in St. Albans, Queens.

From all accounts he was not an amateur surf caster and was a good swimmer based on facts from the school he taught at. He also took his students swimming and taught them the basics of swimming.
The email address below was setup for the Rihm family for all Surfcasters to send there sympathy and condolences.
Please make sure you let the Rihms know where you are from.
[email protected]