From the Beach - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:12 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default From the Beach

Ok....I've been searching the forums for a while now and I can't seem to find an EXACT answer to my question regarding reding the beach....it's probably right under my nose but I can't see it, anyways.....

There's tons of info here on reading the beach but I'm still a little confused...when I look down Nantasket beach in Hull I'm pretty sure all I see is just waves breaking, I've tried to "read it" but can't...should I cast in the area where waves are breaking closest to shore or further away? When
I finally find that location where in the waves should I cast? Do the stripers stay in the breaking waves or further back?I mean-theres miles of beach there and it gets overwhelming to think of where to start....i guess if you saw baitfish there you would know where to get started but ive never seen baitfish there before.

Thank for any help....I've never really done a lot of surf fishing especially at Nantasket beach...I think this is partly because I never really see anyone fishing from the beach there so on the times I do go there I feel awkward and have no self confidence lol...In my head I say "Why am I the only one here?"....has anyone had any luck there from the SURF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Re: From the Beach

Hey Brian,

I'm by no means an expert on beach reading, but there are a few things I have learned. I look for any change in the water, such as a change in where and how the waves break, differing water color, and the beach itself. Like if the beach gradually slopes towards the water for miles then suddenly there's a steep drop towards the water that, usually means that there is a change that continues under water i.e. structure. Also look for rocks, jetties etc. Also as others will tell you try to go tho the beach during the day at differing stages of the tide. I hope this helps a little as I am also still learning
Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM

Question Re: From the Beach

Thanks man...that did help....I actually just found some of what I was looking at in the "beginners clinic"-never thought to look there before. I think I have the idea but if I don't just let me know-heres my idea of the whole situation:

Pretty much it's not good to fish a long stretch of beach that extends for a long time as it is too shallow (for the most part) to hold any fish here. What I'm looking for is sloughs which are areas between the actual beach and sandbars? The idea is that the ocean (waves) break at these sand bars then regather and come until they hit the actual beach? The theory being that it is deep water here. If this idea is true then I think I got it-but a couple more questions....

What makes the water so deep between a sand bar and the beach aka "slough"? Next, in that beginners clinic beach reading thing I was looking at it mentioned "sand flea shells"- what exactly are these? Also, It goes on to mention that "Beaches in the vicinity of estuaries are surf angling beaches." Does this rule out Nantasket?...I dont even know what an estuary is lol. I havent necessarily got fish from the beach here but I've caught plenty (mostly schoolies) from the rocks right at the beginning of the beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 AM
First Mate

Estuary : a water passage where the tide meets a river current; especially : an arm of the sea at the lower end of a river

Think of the Neponset from the train bridge out to Marina Bay. Or even Black's Creek.

Like most anyplace to look for fish, these are edges. These happen to be the edge of fresh and salt water. Lots of bait movement on the tide. And a food source for bait up in the marshes of those rivers.

I am sure you have seen folks fishing by the courthouse on the way to the beach as well, on the backside of Hull.

As for the outside bach, I too have never seen much fishing. I have been told of Cod from shore, past Point Allerton, in the past. Rick was the source. He may have some ideas.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I just got a book that you might want to check out. Its inshore fly fishing by Lou Tabory. Though its a fly fishing book the whole first part is about reading the water and how to fish a beach. The cool thing about it is that it's illustrated so it makes figuring things out a whole lot easier.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks, I think I'll check that out.