How Big? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Canada
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Canada Eastern Canada - Discussion & reports

Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 AM

Default How Big?

How big would this years hatched bass be right now? The reason I ask is that I was fishing over the weekend and took my trout rod along with a small hook and caught 40-50 little bass about 5-6 inches long. The bay is just full of these little fellows. If this is a sign of how well the spawn went from the spring, then in my opinion it went pretty well.
Later Dobb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 PM

i guess it would all depend on food supply, we went out on saturday and caught about 60 Stripers, and i wish i had brought my trout rod too.
they were from about 9 inches to 19. i imagine, but don't really know , that the 9 inchers were this years, and the 19 were last years , like i said i don't really know.
we also caught 67 blue fish in the same size range
Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 AM

OK now I'm confused. From what I've read, there are 3 primary spawning grounds for coastal stripers, NC, Maryland, and the Hudson.....that most stripers don't migrate until after they're 2 years old. So how did juvies get to Nova Scotia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 AM

We have a spawning area up here as well. The Stewiacke river system is a spawning place for stripers. It is just across the Minas Basin from where I fish. I'm thinking that the little ones are coming out of the river now.
Later Dobb
Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they have been finding new places to spawn as the food supply in some old reliable spots have been compromised. they for some reason like it by the kennedy airport as this has been a seemingly less fished area for fish and bait. but consensus shows them to ALWAYS frequent reliable spots and along the way some have found ample food source and structure conducive for spawning.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Dam them stripers for changing their spawning patterns....they're not suppose to do that, can't they read!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

are you into fish or are the big boys heading for the cape?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM

My season has been somewhat inconsistant Zim. Did real well in late June and early July. I didn't get up to Maine much in August and when I did, just catching 1 slot fish was hard work. But that's kinda buisness as usual for august in my area.

Last weekend my motor died so no boat, But, I managed 4 fish in a little over 2 hours off the beach on Sunday. Just in those two hours, the surf really started to build. I finally gave up because I couldn't keep the seaweed off my line.

Motors back running now, at least that's what I've been told. So as long as the seas aren't too overwhelming for my little red boat, I'll be giving it a shot this weekend. If not, I'll try again from shore.

We've had 2 pretty good easterly blows in Maine over the past two weeks. That seems to always bode well for the fishing in my area, since my beach faces directly east. But, you have to deal with the seaweed.

Haven't seen to many posts from you this summer. How bout you? Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, how'd your Hawian trip work out, get any fishing in?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

hah! opted for the 40-40 a week club in july and august - mad overtime, so those 2 months were sporadic fishing and it was a good call for the OT as the fishing was mediocre at best. went to bermuda on a cruise instead of hawaai and wished i'd brought my flyrod (next year) got a huge fish to the boat and lost him (mate said was a wahoo) on the east winds for a week trip out of hamilton (which these winds are unusual but my luck as the misses was seasick the whole trip as well) misses is real sick (ear problems - mri tuesday) have been out hurt for the past few days (back spasms) almost as bad as last september. going back to work tomorrow. (glad i asked zim?) some bass are getting caught now so the run here is due to start. have to see how things pan out for the weekend.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM

Sorry to hear both you and your wife are having health problems. I remember last years back woes laid you up for some time. Good thing you work for the Postn Office. My brother had knee replacement surgery and he's been out for almost 3 months....and I think he still has over a year of accumulated sick time from his Post Office job.

Yes sir, those Wahoos are a pissa. They were the primary target fish when my wife and I made our yearly winter pilgramige to Key West. Good eating too. Did he break off or come unhooked? They're toothy bastages and you probably should use either wire or some super heavy flouro as a leader...is that possible on fly gear?

Ya, I missed ya Zim....Bait got a way with way too much sh$t in your absence.....brought back the a$$-pinching picture of two gay guys, one wearing my head.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i will use the wire leader on the flyrod till the pesky blues leave. just re-rigged for the fall run. jim was tellin me i got ripped while awol. not surprised but it's all in fun and i get even. check the post in lounge (presidency shrouded in controversy)