Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 AM
vtfishguy vtfishguy is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Default Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

Fished a number of spots on Plum Island starting around 2 pm through the evening. Temps in the mid 50s with some offshore wind. Previous week I had found good success catching 5 but yesterday was not the case. The beach from Lot 1 north was so full of seaweed that lines continued to get tangled. From there fished the north side of the jetty along the river, the jetty and south side of jetty ocean side. Clams, worms, and a sluggo - not one fish and only one bite.

It was definitely not like the activity which was seen over the memorial day weekend. Next time.......
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Roccus's Avatar
Roccus Roccus is offline
King of Eels
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Reading, Mass/Rings Island
Posts: 4,227
Default Re: Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfishguy View Post
Fished a number of spots on Plum Island starting around 2 pm through the evening. Temps in the mid 50s with some offshore wind. Previous week I had found good success catching 5 but yesterday was not the case. The beach from Lot 1 north was so full of seaweed that lines continued to get tangled. From there fished the north side of the jetty along the river, the jetty and south side of jetty ocean side. Clams, worms, and a sluggo - not one fish and only one bite.

It was definitely not like the activity which was seen over the memorial day weekend. Next time.......
as I've said so many times.. those early fish head straight up river all the way to the Lawrence dam... lots of fish up there right now...
the water is still very cold... 50 offshore... 52 in close... low 60's in the river at low tide...it's still early.. lots of time for fishing to pick up..
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
CJ1 CJ1 is offline
swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Default Re: Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

Plenty of 35 t0 40 inch fish being caught up river only problem is they were being caught by the guys drifting live herring. The people fishing artificials or dead bait were not having the luck in numbers. On the positive side the river is loaded with herring. Every retrieve there had to be about ten or so fish trying to get jiggy with my sluggo.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:39 PM
NomarsFool NomarsFool is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 56
Default Re: Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
as I've said so many times.. those early fish head straight up river all the way to the Lawrence dam... lots of fish up there right now....
Is it worth it to travel there? I've never fished that area, and I always feel like when I don't know an area I end up just wasting my time. Is there a decent place to launch a boat near there?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Roccus's Avatar
Roccus Roccus is offline
King of Eels
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Reading, Mass/Rings Island
Posts: 4,227
Default Re: Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomarsFool View Post
Is it worth it to travel there? I've never fished that area, and I always feel like when I don't know an area I end up just wasting my time. Is there a decent place to launch a boat near there?
Not the kind of place you can take just any kind of boat... the water level can fluctuate greatly depending on what they are doing with the dam and hydro plant.. there is also a gate at the new ramp... the whole area isn't quite as friendly as it was back in the 60's ...70's and early 80's when I fished there nightly..

Plenty of fish in the river in NBPT..no need to risk taking the lower unit off of your boat or getting stuck on one of the many sand bars or rocks up river...in 2 weeks most of those fish will begin to drop back anyway... bigger fish are arriving in the river each day...
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5 or 31, island, plum, pretty, quiet

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishermen of Plum Island movie in Woods Hole stickman Massachusetts 1 07-21-2009 06:34 PM
pretty quiet Jimmy Z Massachusetts 0 09-30-2007 10:11 PM
From Plum Island back to the good ol' Piscataqua jimmyjames New Hampshire 2 06-03-2004 10:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com