Nautical charts - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Staff

Default Nautical charts

Does anyone have any recommendations for good charts for my area? Tight budget, but I need to get something so that I can study up in preparation for the arrival of my boat. I've been trying to find some online charts where I can (without charge) print out the areas I'm interested in,, but haven't had any luck yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Jake your local tackle shop should have a capt seagulls charts for your area. They are laminated and can roll up and secured with a rubberband. about 12.99 each.

Have you looked at this thread. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3368

Check out maptech and terra server.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 PM

You can study areas on line at www.maptech.com. But on board your boat you should have the real deal NOAA chart, a compass, and a simple flexible course plotter. You should know how to use all three to get places in limited visability. You sould also familiarize yourself with navigation rules (Chapmans). A boating course would accomplish these things.

I know my answer is sort of like getting the history of clocks when asked for the time, but your safety and ours depends on it.

Safe boating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty familiar with reading charts, course plotting, etc, as well as the "Rules of the Road" (been learing how to sail this summer). I'm sure I could borrow a chart or two from my sailing buddy, but I'd rather have my own. Most of the areas I'll be fishing are not areas I've been sailing and have never looked at on my buddy's charts. I've been told that the river in which I'll be launching has a fairly narrow, winding, poorly marked channel with 1-2 ft depths on either side at low tide, so I definately need to check that out on a chart. Plus I want to find some good spots in the bay to target for trolling.

I've done quite a bit of river boating on the Ozark rivers growing up, so handling a boat is not new to me, though I'm sure I'm a little rusty.

Thanks for the links Jim,, I must have overlooked that page. Good stuff!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:58 PM

700 bucks. Nice knowin ya bait. :club:
Old 07-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
especially at night when I'll be doing the majority of my fishing or in fog,, I can see that it's really more a safety issue than a convenience.
All kidding aside, given how you will be boating, the GPS with charts is a safety item. IMO, it's up there with a PFD. You'll be able to skirt the shipping channels in the fog, avoiding potential collisions. Good luck with it.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 AM

Looks like a nice unit Bait :wtg: . Don't tell your wife that I suggested the purchase. For what you probably paid for the combined GPS and chip, she could put a contract :pistols: out on both of us :chin: and still have pocket change.

:angel:
Old 07-14-2005, 07:34 AM

Default GPS

Bait
I've been pretty busy with house projects these past few weeks that I must have missed the thread of getting a boat. I'll tell ya the fog around here is brutal from time to time. I was out by Newport and I looked up and saw sky and around me 5' vis... long way home thats for sure.

I've got the Garmin 192c chartplotter and it has saved me a ton of times.. the built in maps are awesome and I can go anywhere and have a map. I always have a paper map with me just for reference so I can look at the bigger picture though, the 192 screen is pretty nice, easy to read and the screen size is nice. The 192 is up there in price though but once you get a season or two that might be exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck and in the Bay troll Barrington Beach, the islands near Mt. Hope Bridge up the Sakonnet and a must when the stripers are heavy is the west side of Prudence.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Pro Staff

Well I survived the night,,, so no need to call the coroner just yet. Thanks for the tips Cuz. Maybe I'll see you and Briggs on the bay later this summer and into fall. Have you ever gone up the Taunton River north of Fall River and done any good??
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Bait, considering you just got into striper fishing this year, at the rate your going, next year you'll be upgrading to an intergrated system containing GPS/chartplotter/radar/autopilot. That way you can just sit back and fish.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Staff

lol, funny you should say that,,,,with a couple easy (but high priced) add-ons, the unit that I bought will also function as a WX radar unit, sonar/fishfinder, and XM Satelite Radio. Roccus has already hooked me up with a fishfinder that will do everything I need, and I'm pretty good about reading the sky, so those are frills I don't NEED on a boat this size, but it's nice that the capability is there,,,, just in case I happen to hit the lottery when I buy my one powerball ticket each year for my birthday, lol.

I've always been like that though,, when I get into something that I enjoy, I give it my all, and don't mind working hard to get good at it. After looking at paper charts of my area, and seeing all the random rocks and shallows that could spell disaster at low tide if I would happen to misjudge my position at night or in fog, the safety factor loomed large in my mind. If I have to work some extra overtime to pay for a tool that will help me be able to navigate confidently and safely, I've got no problem with that. Its just a bonus that it may help me catch fish more consistently. I did shop around and was able to find the unit plus the preprogrammed card for less than the MSRP of the unit alone. Shaved an extra couple weekends of overtime off my sentence, lol.

Yes, this is my first striper season, the first of MANY to come, Lord willing!!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:50 PM

Default North of FR

Bait,
I just the other night fished down into Fall River looking for busting blues with no luck. I know the spring bass fishing around there is awesome..
Colt Park is a good ramp if you look to trailer over to this side of the bay.

Everyone says that I under estimate my boats worthiness.. when I get out into the ocean I grip the wheel a little tighter lol. Fish traps scare the heck out of me and off of Newport there are a ton of them... I never know where the hell I can cut in when I see those orange drums out there.

Westport is an awesome area but when it turns up out there it really turns up... I've learned not to like 10 - 15 or plus SW winds on this side.. A few days ago I left my house like glass... and then drove the 3 miles over to the Sakonnet and 12 miles up river to the ocean (river flat as glass) and once I reached the mouth you couldn't see my ttop or my 8ft antenna on top of the ttop when I dropped in between rolls, condition felt like they changed in minutes

We'll be looking for ya and you can always get Briggs and I on the radio..
all the RISAA guys use 71 and I monitor 16,9,71 on my tripple scan
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Staff

yeah I've seen from the shore how quickly it can turn up out there. I doubt there's a radio on this boat since it's been a fresh water lake boat all it's life,,, so I'm in the market for one if you know of any good used ones. I was looking at em on ebay the other day,, but I'm not real comfortable buying stuff off there any more,, got burned a few times too many.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: North of FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz N' Eddy
Fish traps scare the heck out of me and off of Newport there are a ton of them... I never know where the hell I can cut in when I see those orange drums out there.
I saw "Fish Traps" in that area on a chart I was looking at the other day but wasn't sure what it was referring to. What are they exactly and what dangers do they represent to boaters?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
yeah I've seen from the shore how quickly it can turn up out there. I doubt there's a radio on this boat since it's been a fresh water lake boat all it's life,,, so I'm in the market for one if you know of any good used ones. I was looking at em on ebay the other day,, but I'm not real comfortable buying stuff off there any more,, got burned a few times too many.
Bait, The guy I do yardwork for is a Gun dealer and he gets radios and the such at dealer price. you can save a nice chunk of money if you order through one of them. Infact I was looking at the stuff he has and he some nice marine radios in there. I might be able to hook you up with a nice one from 'Midland'(the company) if you would like.

Sounds like you're nice and pysched for the boat eh!