Drift fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Drift fishing

hey guys looking to get into the drifting bloodworms in early season. Don't really know to much, have seen the rigs seems easy enough. Just wondering are guys doing this out in the channel, deeper or shallower water or just drifting where you are marking fish. Or just looking for general tips or advice anybody has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Drift fishing

I think bloods are the best early season bait. So, good choice.
The one thing I will add is that the best time to fish in the spring is on the outgoing tide as it usually just a little bit warmer than the incoming.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Member Elite

When I fish down in Newburgh I drift with bloods and sands and do real well since there is no real channel and the fish school in the thermocline. I have never had any luck with this technique up in Albany. Since there is a channel with steep walls it seems the Striper hang more on the channel's edge on outgoing tide waiting for herring. I've tried herring south with no luck and bloods north with no luck. The river topography totally changes their feeding patterns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks doc z I was actually hoping you would be one of the guys to respond. I would be doing this probably around the Kingston area I general fish the malden Germantown catskill area def a herring fishing area. So pretty much where your marking fish in channel ledges would be my best bet. when your doing this have you found a rig that seems to produce better. from what I saw the three way swivel with the dropper weight looks like what id probably use. thanks again doc
Old 03-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerman86 View Post
thanks doc z I was actually hoping you would be one of the guys to respond. I would be doing this probably around the Kingston area I general fish the malden Germantown catskill area def a herring fishing area. So pretty much where your marking fish in channel ledges would be my best bet. when your doing this have you found a rig that seems to produce better. from what I saw the three way swivel with the dropper weight looks like what id probably use. thanks again doc
I actually use a standard fish finder rig that I use for bottom fishing except I put the sliding sinker above a swivel with about 36 inches of mono leader and a 6-0 circle hook. I put the sinker at the depth I want and the leader drifts behind it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Is there a reason you use the fishfinder rig over a simple egg sinker ?

I played with a DIY drift sock last year and it seemed to really help the bait presentation match with he current speeds especially when there is 5mph+ wind. What is your suggestion of size for a heavy 17' deep V fiberglass boat, I'm planning on purchasing one this spring.

Do you solely drift worms or do you try chunk and live herring as well? I'm fishing in the Kingston area ranging from Black Creek to Saugerties.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
hey guys looking to get into the drifting bloodworms in early season. Don't really know to much, have seen the rigs seems easy enough. Just wondering are guys doing this out in the channel, deeper or shallower water or just drifting where you are marking fish. Or just looking for general tips or advice anybody has.

I will drift different depths until we find active fish. Sometimes it's right in the middle deepest parts of the channel, or up on the edges/flats. Once you find them active stay on them. My eyes are usually glued to fish finder when drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyPredator View Post

Do you solely drift worms or do you try chunk and live herring as well? I'm fishing in the Kingston area ranging from Black Creek to Saugerties.

I use both FF rig and egg sinker set up when drifting. I prefer FF rig because you can swap out weights quick and easy if need be. With the egg you have to cut and re-tie each time.

99% of my drifting is a live herring. If the bite is super hot dead & chunk can work just fine too.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Great info being posted thanks guys. Looking to do something alittle different from the anchor and wait game. Drifting seems like a little better to cover more water and hit on moving fish. Are you guys just going with the current or woyld setting a little electric trolling motor on a low speed be good as well
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:

I played with a DIY drift sock last year and it seemed to really help the bait presentation match with he current speeds especially when there is 5mph+ wind. What is your suggestion of size for a heavy 17' deep V fiberglass boat, I'm planning on purchasing one this spring.

I use the FF rig simply cuz that's what my rods are set up with. It is easier to change sinkers based on current and if I want to set up a live herring off the bottom I'm already set up. I usually drift worms down in Newburgh but up north I use live and chunk herring. For some reason I never have luck up north with worms or south with herring and I've tested this numerous times.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I use the FF rig simply cuz that's what my rods are set up with. It is easier to change sinkers based on current and if I want to set up a live herring off the bottom I'm already set up. I usually drift worms down in Newburgh but up north I use live and chunk herring. For some reason I never have luck up north with worms or south with herring and I've tested this numerous times.
I had tried the live and chunk herring off the bottom and went 2 years without landing a fish. I had plenty of hits but poor hookup ratios so I started drifting worms towards 2nd half of the run last year and we started getting fish. We boated 30fish up to 32" so now with a little success im trying to refine my approach to target larger fish this year.

I believe my hookup problems were from using an improved clinch knot on offset eyelet circle or Octopus circle hooks. Im going to try snelling them this year hoping a straight pull on shank provide the proper point exposure needed for this hook style fishing from the bottom anchored. Any comments/Suggestions?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:

I believe my hookup problems were from using an improved clinch knot on offset eyelet circle or Octopus circle hooks. Im going to try snelling them this year hoping a straight pull on shank provide the proper point exposure needed for this hook style fishing from the bottom anchored. Any comments/Suggestions?
Here's how I do it, never had any issues. I use a 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle Octopus Hook. Rarely miss fish once they hit.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
I had tried the live and chunk herring off the bottom and went 2 years without landing a fish. I had plenty of hits but poor hookup ratios so I started drifting worms towards 2nd half of the run last year and we started getting fish. We boated 30fish up to 32" so now with a little success im trying to refine my approach to target larger fish this year.

I find early in the year i struggle the first day or two .... lots of runoffs but not many hookups.

Two days later it all changes while doing the exact same thing ..... i just figure it is small fish.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Tyee

Quote:

Can't go wrong with a palymer knot, strong and simple to tie
Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
Can't go wrong with a palymer knot, strong and simple to tie
I actually switched to the Polymar knot half way thru season last year as I had 1 rod with braided line and the knots were slipping with the cinch knot. I liked its simplicity nearly bomb proof and good performance with different line materials, it is now my go to knot. I just wanted to know if you guys had a different opinion on weather snelling would improve hook ratios over traditional knots, the Polymar knot cinches around shank and eyelet becomes a stop so maybe this will perform similar to snelling with less effort.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
absolute trophy hunter

I used to exclusivly run the palamar knot for its strenght but last few years I've been schnelling all my hooks and preffere it. I always run a size bigger with circle hooks, 8/0 gamakatsu octopus bend. I've noticed the schnell greatly reduces the chances of the hook turning back into the bait. The palamar is a great knot but I can pivit on the eye like most other knots. I just purchased a couple daiwa line counters for some drift fishing myself. Good electronics are key with any type of verticle fishing