Trying again tomorrow... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Trying again tomorrow...

Well first of all I now know that I'm going to need to buy waders because my first outing today did not go well. The rocks were slippery, the wind was blowing in my face and the tide was too low. I lost my lure to the rocks on my first cast ><. I know my poles a bit short at 7' and im concerned that maybe the Striper Strike lure i was using doesn't have enough weight for a long enough cast (although its hard to judge the wind was blowing strong)

Im going to try again tomorrow at high tide, ive scouted the area i live in, and have 3 known points of access to the water without trespassing etc.

I have arrows pointing to those 3 areas in the map below. As you can see the area is laid out a bit tricky, there are lots of options to choose from. Do you guys think stripers come into that bay? Or would i need to find deeper waters out in the sound?

Also once i get to the water is there anything else i should look for besides the obvious signs of birds and feeding etc?

i know its early in the season so im not hellbent on finding loads of fish, but i would like to learn how to find potentially good fishing spots at the very least.

Last edited by nickyeager123; 04-05-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: removed image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Trying again tomorrow...

better off using clams or worms as i am not all that sure you'll get anything with plugs. posting a pic on the web of access to areas is a bad idea. this will burn your spots you worked to find on your own. i'm sure it's common knowlege amongst locals where it is but just bad overall

Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the advice Zim I will heed it. I was just curious if stripers can be found in a bay like that or if i had to go out to the beaches on the actual sound. It would be a shame to lose days fishing in a bay when i should be in the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

on a day like today you shoulda been indoors. lol.
in a month or two they will be everywhere. you are not far from mecca. go online to ALBRIGHTTACKLE.COM.... waders and boots will set you back 100 bucks and that is damn near impossible to beat."unless you get neoprenes from cabelas and those suck in the summer". may have missed the deal for bridgestone waders but the trinity line is better and a wee bit more, but you won't find breathable waders any cheaper even on ebay. you owe it to yourself to do whatever it takes to be prepared. you will have to eventually get some sort of korkers as in your neck of the woods, it is painfully important to be as safe as possible. thr rod and reel is doable but will get leers and comments by passersby. nonetheless, fish with what you have and just think safety. falling off the slippery rocks into the freeze is anything but fun. safety first my friend... be alert and always watch your footing.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Haha yeh i should have been indoors but the itch was too much! thanks for the advice, i will get a proper rod for this in exactly 2 weeks, the rod i last bought was for freshwater and boat fishing mostly. I will try out bait as well since i cant seem to get very far out with that lure anyway.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Official Member

Hey Nick you might want to hit it on outgoing tide.The warmer warter from up in the bay will be your best bet.You really want to throw bait at this time of year,clams,or bloods,or sand worms.I think you might be hitting it a bit early.The fish are just starting here in NJ.Almost everything has been comming from the back.Good luck!!!

FC
Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
Hey Nick you might want to hit it on outgoing tide.The warmer warter from up in the bay will be your best bet.You really want to throw bait at this time of year,clams,or bloods,or sand worms.I think you might be hitting it a bit early.The fish are just starting here in NJ.Almost everything has been comming from the back.Good luck!!!

FC
Thanks! I will try this weekend, supposed to be amazing weather and the locals told me last weekend they were two towns west of us heading our way
Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Striper Hunter

i think the best time to fish will be this weekend. i live in your area an the water temp is getting clost to 50. am hopeing witht he warm weather this weekend the water warms up. i currently fish ingreat neck an bunkers an blood worms work amazeing. but as the other members said clams would worm amazeing. but lures work great alot. if u would live to go fishing hit me up.... looking to make sum friends an catch sum fish this year. good luck fishing.......
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Official Member

thr rod and reel is doable but will get leers and comments by passersby.

Zimms's words ring true

Don't worry about your setup. There's plenty of time for that. Spend your money on being safe. There is no better feeling than getting your 1/2 priced tackle leered at while heading out to your spot by an L.L. Bean poster child (no offense, they make great stuff). Then, being watched all night out of the corner of their eye all night as you kick total BASS!

Fishin' is learned and earned. Work your a$$ off long enough and learn from your mistakes and you will be successful. No matter what rod and reel is in your hands.

Fashion is bought! And high quality gear is a luxury. (just don't forget to treat yourself with it later)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Official Member

amen bro !! u can have high dollar rigs n no common sense !! nothin makes up 4 dedication ! good line n lots of effort wins out every time
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i wrote "fish with what you have" but that is all too temporary. you will see that by what is done by others and, what you recognize to be of value to you. A. there is no substitute for proper gear. B. i'm powerless/clueles/fishless without the proper gear. C. if i make the effort and obtain the proper gear i can be more successful and (most importantly to the psyche) - fit in. don't fail to prepare less you want to prepare to fail. everyone begins in that dark skunking mode. but then as they gradually make the proper adjustments with regard to tackle and equipment, they go out into the light. so as far as just using any odd gear goes. just bear in mind that, there is a reason why things cost more and why things are necessary to use. nobody has to go thru what we've gone thru over the course of 40 years of trial and error. it's all on the web to get right in the first place. in this economy, sometimes that takes a bit of doing. but, it's inevitable you will need to bump up your arsenal to a certain degree. so bear that in mind while your in your travels.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the comments! I went out again today this time with waders, it was much easier, i found some really promising spots with structure and i was even able to see some holes while reading the beach. This forum has helped me already by leaps and bounds!

I hear what you guys are saying about the gear and I think i can catch fish on my current setup but despite that, Ive decided to replace my gear and just use my current setup for fishing off boats and freshwater . Im not sure if its the reel or im doing something wrong but the captiva reel i have keeps wrapping the line around the drag wheel causing tangles and after i cast, the bail doesnt flip over automatically when i begin to reel in about 85% of the time. Its weird because this never happened to me with my fishing gear ive owned in the past.

Anyways I want to buy a rod and reel combo specifically for surfcasting and catching stripers and blues. I would like to keep it under 250 dollars if possible for a rod and reel but if its really worth it i can go up to 300. Can you guys suggest what i should buy? I want to be able to cast out really far if i want to so a setup that bears that in mind would be great. Also suggestions for what line I should use would be appreciated.Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Lunker

quantum cabo reel
power pro braid
lamiglas surf and jetty series 9 foot med/heavy

probably run about $370 ...if too much substitute the rod for a cheaper St Croix or an Okuma
Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Bassman, I just bought the Catalyst PTs Inshore CI40PTSB. Let me kow your thoughts on that reel. As for the rod, I cant tell the difference between models here there are 5 10 foot spinning rods here and the website doesnt explain the differnce between any of them! http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=25
Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Striper Hunter

ah ok i see you reccomended the 9 foot but there are two there is the xs91 and the xs9 and and the only difference i see is 1 vs 2 pieces, does that make a difference?