Al Gag's Plugs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Default Al Gag's Plugs

I was in Efingers a few weeks back and was going through their discount bins. I saw many Gag's plugs in there at some pretty&very cheap prices. I did not buy any as I was abit leery, the wood looked as if it needed another sanding before paint and the finish seemed to be yellowing&checking on some(almost looked like poly) Now these just may have been a bad batch but also maybe he saves time to keep prices down as his plugs are someehat cheaper the his competiters. I hear some of his stuf really works but I don't want to refinish things just to save a few bucks. If I want to do the work I'll build my own or buy kits.

I'm not bashing anything here as I also have heard some of his stuff works very well. Just want some input as I'm heading that way soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Al Gag's Plugs

some builders dont spend alot of time on finishing their plugs, the late great dany Pinkney never sanded his plugs smoothe or spent time on fancy finishes.. his are amongst the best ever made..
dont judge a book by it's cover... buy it on how it reads...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
First Mate

I think the roughness may have come from soaking plug(sealing) which raised the grain and then was not sanded or sanded well. What really worried me was the checking and discoloration of the outer somewhat clearcoat. Without the plug even hitting the water yet and the finish already had cracks. I will say the main reason I kept looking at them is the needles, they really caught my eye. I liked the bunker color (and another color I.F.) Canal needles and some of the stubbies. After just doing a search it backs up what I thought about the needles-they work well. Finish is an issue but for around $10 oh well they catch a ton of fish. There was also a It's Alive maybe Pocket Rocket plug that looked good. Even at $10 I don't want to refinish but that's still better than $30 for a plug that catches nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

FYI.. I never sand my plugs after sealing.. the raised grain helps the primer adhere to the plug... one of the most common mistakes by begginers it to sand the plug to to fine of a finish...any roughness in the surface of the plug creates minute pockets for paint and primer to stick to as well as the final finishes

Quit worrying about the finish, as long as the wood it self has not split , if you like the plugs and they are priced right, buy them, fish the hell out of them and toss them in the trash when the get destroyed...
Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I bought a bunch of daters at a flea market this summer made by a no name builder, whose buddy was selling them on his table for five bucks a piece. I had zero expectation and even less confidence in them. The finish was rough they had no top coat at all it appeared just paint.

The first time I swam one I was amazed they were great. There are a lot of high priced plugs out there with incredible finishes and amazing paint schemes that catch fisherman only. For ten bucks a piece if you toss one to the wind or the finish peels it will just add mojo!
Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
First Mate

I had stopped in the store to pickup a few things and also check their 'bargin bin' for the plugs. I was not overly surprised to find that many of them had been sold. The ones that were left seemed to be normal pricing. They actually much to my surprise had some Tatoo plugs in there which were marked down. Only a couple were ones I would have wanted. I snoozed on one and when I went back over to grab it it was gone. The needles that were left actually looked better then many of the other plugs that sold. I should have tried to strike up a deal with them.(as I did with a rod I had bought) One thing that I thought of was that I can buy Tsunami needles that have great paint and finish for the same money. I know many of their plugs catch fish as I have done so. Granted they are made in China and I would rather buy American but the prices are good.

Thanks for everyones input. Also if any of you find yourself in the Bound Brook, NJ area swing buy Efiningers. Many of their prices are inline but there selection on many things are awesone. I have never seen a 'wood' plug isle stocked like theirs. There are so many makers and style wood plugs it is amazing, not to mention all the other normal plastic stuff.