New Reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
First Mate

Default New Reel

I'm looking for a new conventional reel. 80% plugging 20% eeling. I've heard alot about the Abu's. Do these have a live line feature or is it just freespool?
Are these ready to go out of the box or do they need upgrades? I was also looking at the Okuma Solterra level wind, but these look awfully heavy. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Re: New Reel

For what you'r looking to do I'd rather have A spinning reel.
The reason for that is most plugs aren't aero dynamic. Most of
the time you'll have A head wind and when this happens it ends
up slowing down the lure and the spool over revolves and ends
up with A back lash. It's sort of like pi$$ing in the wind. A spinning
reel with braid and A cast thats low and straight forward will cut
nice through the wind. This I think will better your odds. my .02 cents.
Anyway lets see what everyone else has to say.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Veteran Elite

Drifting eels in a current you NEED a conventional. Plugging eels you would want a spinning set up. I use my conventional for drifting eels and an occasional chunk or jig. All my plugging is done spinning. The Abu's I've fished out of the box and never had a problem at all. You can modify anything you buy but I've had my reels for years with no upgrades and they're just fine. A few guys here upgrade the crap out of them and even build their own which I'm sure are awesome. I'm the if it's not broke don't fix it kind of guy. Probably because I can't put shit back together and if I look at schematics on paper it makes my head spin and I want to punch something. Wires piss me off too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Just curious but why would drifting eel's in current demand a conventional reel? Ive gotten away with using spinning gear in the canal with eels is there some advantage other then torque that I fail to see?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 PM

I plug and eel conventional all the time. With a properly balanced setup it will outcast and out fish a spinner 90% of the time.
The feel you have for the plug at the end of the line is incredible, far, far better then you have with a spinning reel. You can feel the slightest change in a plugs action caused by the tiniest bit of grass on a hook - something you'll never notice with a spinning reel.

The only time I prefer spinning is when there's a stiff wind in my face or if I'm going to be dunking the reel.

You'll want levelwind, preferably ball bearing levewind.
There are three reels to look into:

Abu 6500 size - Mag Elite and Sports Mag These cast the farthest but can be a bit squirrelly. I hear good things about the Record but haven't fished it yet so can't comment

Daiwa 300 Luna, not as far as the Abu's but more control. I had one for a while but there was too much overlap between this reel, the Mag Elite, and the Conquest so I got rid of it. If it's your only conventional reel it could be a good choice.

Shimano 400 Te or 400 Conquest, A tiny bit less distance then the Luna but an amazing amount of control. I've never even once had to untangle a backlash with my Conquest.

If it's windy I bring the Conquest. If it's calm, I'm fishing heavy lures like pencils or the wind is at my back I bring the Mag Elite.

As for a rod, 10' - 1 to 4oz rating medium action. You really don't want a stiff ,hard to load rod like a Tica.
If I were to have any rod it would be an 11' AFAW Estuary build conventional - in fact it's going to be the next rod I build after I finish the few that are still on the bench. Another blank that's recently caught my interest is the 10' Seeker Baby Alua. A conventional rod built on the blank used on the Lami XS 101 MS rod (I don't remember the blank #) would also be a great plugging/eeling rod (the 101 MHC is too heavy).

Line - the only line I'll use on a conventional plugging setup is Berkley Stealth, I usually use 30# test. It's the only line that when you get a backlash (and we all do) it pulls out as easily as if it were mono. I think it's because the teflon that's usually just on the surface is throughout the line with Stealth. It's also a little thicker then other 30# braids which makes it easeir to work with on conventional (and makes it not so good on spinning)
Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Veteran Elite

With a conventional you can touch your line the whole time with your thumb as its drifting. You feel every wiggle of the eel and any small bumps you will not feel drifting with your bail open. You can also slow down the drift with a little thumb pressure. You also get a nice smooth natural drift out of it compared to a spinner. Try it and you'll see the difference.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Ah so sensitivity is the major bonus......I was thinking of using a conventional setup for next season....Thanks for the post Suds now I have an idea of what to look for!

Jay have you landed a 40 yet at the canal???
Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Just curious but why would drifting eel's in current demand a conventional reel? fail to see?
Presentation is far superior,the line rolls of the spool effortlessly with a conventional.
Spinning reels,it seems the line gets embedded into the spool and when your trying to drift eels (Canal)it will start to ascend and come closer to the surface & shore,therefor it will drift out of the spot your trying to get to.
Yes you can manually pull the line off but you have to stay on top of it on every drift.

I have been using a Calcutta 700 for ten seasons down there & I have replaced only 2 parts that equaled $10.00 the second is another Calcutta,but its a 700TE it's in its second season & good so far.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Ahaa I see you you guys don't really sweep the eels when fishing there you try and drift them down the middle or where ever your cast lands.....makes sense...

I have only thrown eel's once down there this season without result (it was a bit early) but judging how the ron-z has worked already I am sure they are ready and willing to nail a live eel....I know Jay and Chad do very well with them down there...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Striper Hunter

I have seen some people bounce live eels off the bottom,they would use 2-4 ounce weight on a three way then an eel on a leader.
These guys would cast a little up stream and bounce it,it appears similar to jigging but the control can't be as tight.
I have never tried this and haven't seen these guys in about 5 yrs nor have seen anybody Else attempt this technique.

As for drifting,I try to find out what column of water the fish are feeding in,some times I'll need no weight or sometime it requires weight,I'll try using anywhere from 1/8 oz or up to 3/4 some times these fish are down deep hugging close the contour structure of the bottom or just on the other side of plateau that's why I find conventional reels a better way to drift into these tight pockets the line rolls off and with each yard of line paying out it goes deeper and further down current.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Veteran Elite

No 40's and I haven't really drifted eels there this year. I'm waiting for the call Bob
Old 07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
No 40's and I haven't really drifted eels there this year. I'm waiting for the call Bob
Get that cell phone fixed
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 AM
First Mate

I can second much of what Sudsy said about The Abu's and the Calcutta. I have not used the Conquest but have nothing but great input on it. I do have a Diawa not sure what model as it's a lefty and I'm righty so I don't really use it. The Diawa is a cheaper reel so I don't really mind. The Calcuttas I have used are about some of nicest reels out there-IMO. I think you cant go wrong with either the B or TE Calcuttas. If you are not used to and have not used a conventional reel much in the past then you should consider your options-spin vs conv. The spin will be so much easier and require alot less practice.
There is one thing I do recommend if you get or have and Abu reel weather it be a mag unit or an old one like mine-Get yourself a Got Distance Reels center mag kit, it will make that Abu much nicer to cast and not hurt the distance. Very reasonable price also. I have also heard great things about the Abu Record, but have also heard some reports of folks claiming they got problem ones too, but this can happen with any reel. Most of the problems that I heard is due to water in the reel. The Record is a great caster.
The thing I really like about the conv. setup is that you can have a nice amount of line with a smaller reel. I have an Abu 6600c and I use Power Pro #30 I had really wanted the Berkley Fireline but the store I was at did not carry it. The PP I must say has been easy to pick out and nests but they have all been very small. I think the Stealth is Spiderwire? Well that what I remember any way.
Good luck with everything and Tight Lines to AlL
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Jay have you landed a 40 yet at the canal???

Did I miss something,did the thread change topic?WTF dose this have to do with spinning or convench reels?!?!?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Get that cell phone fixed
DONE!!!!!!