Surf combo - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
First Mate

Default Surf combo

Hi all, I just started playing with Stripers last year.My current rod and reel set-up is just a Walmart cheapo that I picked up, as there's not much in the way of Surf type gear in my area.I also didn't know what to expect as far as my Striper success would go.I am a long ways from having it all figured out, though I managed to catch quite a few in my first season, with a good number of keepers thanks to the advice of the members here.I'm sure a few are saying "Oh no, not him again".LOL!I really got the bug bad now and would like some advice on a decent Surf Combo.All my fishing will be throwing chunks, with a 3-5 ounce weight from the surf.I'm thinking of something in the $150-200 range.Like I mentioned I'm extremely new at this with barely a season under my belt, and don't really know where to start, or if that's enough $ to purchase a decent combo.I realize I will have to order.Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Surf combo

Hey Butcha for chunking look into Tica or Tsunami rods they are fairly decent and you can most likely get set up for around 100$ on the rod. For a reel you may want to look at the Shimano Bait runners. This type of set-up will most likely run you around 200 bucks. If you want to save on the reel go to a certain auction site and try and hook up with a Penn 704 that is operable. With a little elbow grease you will be in business.

Have fun and Bass Wishes
Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

All answers start at the search button! Good luck this season!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
NJstripernut

Butcha,
When I started, I bought some Wall Mart Grade stuff, but soon wanted better. In my opinion, Jackbass is RIGHT ON THE MONEY about the Tsunamior Tica, and the Shimano Bait Runners can't be beat! They even have a waterproof drag! Look on e-bay or craigslist to save even more money. Tight Lines!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM

what you lookin for butcha a spinning combo or baitcaster
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Spinning.What about the Ugly sticks?

Last edited by Butcha; 03-30-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstripernut View Post
Butcha,
When I started, I bought some Wall Mart Grade stuff, but soon wanted better. In my opinion, Jackbass is RIGHT ON THE MONEY about the Tsunamior Tica, and the Shimano Bait Runners can't be beat! They even have a waterproof drag! Look on e-bay or craigslist to save even more money. Tight Lines!
Baitrunners are a great reel to start with no-doubt but I wouldn't quote the drag as being waterproof! I haven't used an ugly stick for years but I did pick up a Tica TC2 9ft for 90 bucks at cabelas and for the price you can't really go wrong and if you do hell just go buy another one!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Baitrunners are a great reel to start with no-doubt but I wouldn't quote the drag as being waterproof! I haven't used an ugly stick for years but I did pick up a Tica TC2 9ft for 90 bucks at cabelas and for the price you can't really go wrong and if you do hell just go buy another one!
I've dunked my Thunnus many, many times last year and the reel still is fine and the drag is like butter. The Thunnus is just the monster version of the baitrunner.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Striper Hunter

when I first got into surfcasting, i did a good amount of chunking, since thats what my Uncle was into... "so this is how you do it, see?" so I wanted to buy my own rod, but not spend too much $$$ just in case i didnt like fishing after a few months (yeah right)... i bought an OKUMA SENTARA combo at dicks for 109.00 its a 10 foot rod thats rated 2-8 oz... it will throw an 8oz sinker and bunker chunk FAR.. the reel is ok... the bail sometimes flips shut on a hard cast... TICA rods are NICE, and the best rod for the money... get a 10' at cabelas for about 120, and get a cabelas salt striker/bait runner... its a must for chunking so the fish can take the bait feeling no resistance... The reel should cost you 60 bucks... I'm just warning you now though... if you think you are getting into a cheap hobby... that all you need is one rod and then just some hooks every now and then, I've got news for you... you'll spend more money on fishing equipment than ANYTHING else youve ever been into... and you'll love every second of it
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Striper Hunter

If $$$ is an issue, this
is an incredible reel for the money
Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point View Post
I've dunked my Thunnus many, many times last year and the reel still is fine and the drag is like butter. The Thunnus is just the monster version of the baitrunner.
Its a monster for sure your reel is huge. Im suprised to hear you haven't had any problems with the drag, but thats a good thing! Im sure you'll use it some more this year....as for me I have to buy a VS or any other truly sealed reel so I can swim with it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Check out Saltwater Edge they have a nice Tsunami 10' w/ a romex reel for like 165.00 (Ithink). Looks like a nice setup for the $
Hank
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the advice all!Lester I only need one NEW rod.I know all about spending money.I do alot of hunting ,fishing and trapping.You would not want to know what I've got tied up in trapping supplies!I
have a few cheapo's that my girlfriend or anyone else who goes with me can use.The area I fish is miles of miles of Mud Flats at low tide, and the water is pretty dirty when the tide comes in.[40 foot tides]So I'm always gonna be bait fishin.I'm thinking of a Shimano Baitrunner, but not sure about a rod yet.I will check out the Cabela's reels also.The spot I fish from has a lot of boulders for the first 40yrds or so, so I'd like to have something long enough to keep the line up aways, when spiked to prevent nicks in the line.It's sometimes hard at night to tell if the line is touching the rocks.But I do need something stiff enough to throw alot of weight, and also we get a lot of wind.Appreciate all the comments.If anyone has anymore I'd love to hear them..........Thanks