Need reel advice (punn intended) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Freshwater Tackle Box freshwater supplies reels and tackle discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Need reel advice (punn intended)

Hey everyone hope all is well. The last time I posted I gained a wealth of info so here is another question. I am looking to buy two new reels for topwaters. I primarily fish 4 wipers ranging from 5 to 8 lbs. I have a lot of luck throwing deep into weeds so when I get a hookup I have to turn their heads quickly. As all of you know wipers will also run pretty hard a times. The biggest hang up I am having looking for a reel is the low capacity of line they are able to carry. I am wanting something I can put a comfortable amount of 14 or 17lb test on. I have searched the Internet and 90% of the info suggests mono for topwaters, any objections to this theory? I have narrowed my choices down to the new Abu revo inshore, or the Diawa zillion (mostly because its so cool). I have held the zillion but not the revo inshore. Any suggestions, anybody have either of these reels, or am I analyzing this too much? How many of you are faithful mono topwater users, how many of you use braid with a leader, and is that braid to leader connection strong enough to hold when I need to bear down to get a fish out of the weeds? When I talk about weeds they aren't soft and green, these are big hard sticks that are 5 to 8' deep. Anything will help, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Need reel advice (punn intended)

the quantum cabo pt has more line capacity than the diawa but the diawa picks up more line per rev. the cabo is a whole lot cheaper and as per the braid question i can't begin to suggest braid or mono as i don't fish that water, but a braid to fluoro connection won't fail if tied right. where exactly (without burning a spot or location) are you fishing? we are all ears and are always interested in all things wiper...........

Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Personally I prefer spinning gear for topwater due to the higher retrieve rates.
The Daiwa Team Advantage in the 4000 size throwing 14 lb braid on a 7'+ glass or composite rod would be a topwater machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

given the place he fishes i would expect it an all around set-up and btw, i will see you in a few weeks no?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Wiper Guru

I fish mostly inland lakes in Indiana and Tennessee. Unfortunately, most of the spinning reels that are sold for lake use do not hold up to wipers for long, and they don't have the line capacity you need if you troll. Then there's the constant line twist to deal with. I finally switched to baitcasters and did away with the twist problem. It also did away with the capacity problem, since my favorite reel, an Ambassador c5 series, will hold about 280 yards of line. I have several Ambassadors now and have not had one fail yet.

I used braided line one year, but it is pricey and tempermental. It is more sensative, I'll give it that, but in the end I went back to 8-10# mono and have found that the low memory qualities of Suffix work real well for wipers.

That's my take on it.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Official Member

I am new here, so take my advice with caution. I am also fairly new to striper fishing, so again, take my advice with caution.

With that said, here is my advice...

First off, when fishing topwater for bass of any species (yes I know that a striper is not a bass species, but that's what it is called), I do fish a lot with braid. I love to catch largemouth with frogs using braided line and a medium heavy to heavy 7' rod. I am a very cheap guy and don't like to spend a lot of money, but have found lots of really good braid on clearance cheap.

The big reason that a lot of people don't use braid or fluro. is because they say it takes away from the action of the bait because it does not float as much as the mono does (from my understanding). Also, the mono will stretch when the fish inhales the bait. This helps with not pulling the bait out of their mouths before you get a chance to set the hook. Usually, when bass fishing, I will use braid as long as I am not letting the lure sit for long periods of time. The reason for this is that the braid is more visible than mono and when it sits there, it gives the fish more time to see it and say "nope".

As for the reel, I cannot speak for trolling because I cast only for them. However, when I go to the river to catch these awesome fish, I have always taken my bass gear. I use 14# mono most of the time because I usually fish with grubs and soft swim baits. I use a lot of Pinnacle reels and a few Quantum and a few BPS reels. Like I said before, I don't use a lot of the higher priced stuff, and I have never had a reel break on me. I have had several rods break on me a lot, so I do use higher quality rods.

This year I am going to buy a few rods and reels just for these fish. I think that I am going to buy a Ambassador reel and another baitcaster (not sure about it yet). I think that I am going to buy either a Extreme or a Pro Qualifier from BPS. I know that I am going to get one 7' and one 7'6" Ugly Stick Lite rods. I won't h ave to worry about them breaking like some other rods in their price range. I would save your money on reels and get a few good rods and a bunch of lures and line. Just my .02 cents though.

Where exactly do you fish in Indiana? If I could throw a rock across the Ohio River, I could throw a rock and hit Indiana.

Let me know, maybe we can meet up this spring and I could take you out to my favorite fishing spot. They will be running before too long!