Need Help! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Captain Booty

Default Need Help!

I'm going to try and catch some Big(any) Stripers on a fly this year!! I need some info about what size rod and line I should start with?? Good Flies?? Thanks!! I fish the upper Hudson River!!
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Fly fishin' geek

Default Re: Need Help!

For every new patch of water I try fishing in, I take a peek at the local fisheries websites and try to figure out what bait fish are hatching in there.

From that point on, its just a matter of figuring out what the bait is doing or do by habit, and whats around for structure to help the stripers hunt them.

I have had some good luck with sinking lines, or sinking tip lines, keeping the fly just outside the school, or just under it.

The schoolies tend to be more active immediately around the school os bait. The bigger boys (in my experience) tend to be a little lazier (or patient), and conserv e energy while they wait for the little guys to push or wound a likely target.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up Re: Need Help!

I've caught a 33 inch striper with a 6wt. freshwater rod, with a good disc drag reel, its possible the rod was bent like a pretzel ;-), but I was really played out afterwards, but highly satisfied too. If you get into actively feeding stripers you won't have to cast over 30 feet anyway.

I've beefed up to a 7wt. for the spring Hudson (but for the schoolies 5-21 inches) I still use the 6wt., I save the 8-9-10wts for the surf where I'm gonna have to battle the wind. I use both floating & sink tip lines either have been successful.

As far as flies use herring patterns about 5-6-8 inches long, all white flies work well also. If you tie them make them sort of football shaped with a little material as possible foreasy casting. Take a look at river herring images to see what I mean.