Finally started making wood chips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Default Finally started making wood chips

I finally got far enough through the "to do" list, to start making some wood chips on the lathe.

I had some maple logs laying around for a couple years. Those ended up being chain sawed into manageable pieces. Fattened a couple sides on the jointer and ran them through the band saw to make 1 1/2 inch square blanks. I took a mess of them and turned them round, and back on the shelf they went for some dry time. I didn't have the logs covered but I got to them before moisture started to rot them. I wonder what the wife would say if I used the kitchen stove to help dry them out? Has anyone tried using the kitchen stove as a kiln? I guess I could also try using the smoker. As long as I keep the wood far enough from the fire box and keep a small fire, I should be OK.... I think.

I'm going to do the same to some white birch I've had drying all summer. The birch was under cover, so those should be fine, but it still wouldn't surprise me if they need additional drying when cut into blanks.

I picked up a lathe dust collector hood at Rockler and hooked it up before I started making chips. I was turning square blanks round for a few hours last night, and my wife's car was still dust free when I finally finished. It worked great.

I also sharpened all the lathe tools and cranked the speed up. Being new to turning, I always ran at the slowest speed. I cranked it to the max, and what a differance. I was careful to have the wood chucked dead center, so I wouldn't have balance issues, and chips were flying off really nice. The other mod I made was a 14" tool rest Made it so it bolts onto the stock rest with a couple 1/4-20's and then I set it and forgot it. No more moving the rest. That worked great. The old 1942 lathe continues to make chips...even though I need to start thinking about a newer model.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Finally started making wood chips

Awesome.... dry the wood slowly, if not, it's going to split.....I tried some in a toaster oven once... it smelled great.. and split!

I cut some cedar two years ago, I let it air dry in a controlled enviroment ( the shop), it's just usable now...