another tube question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM

Default another tube question

I'm sitting here at work thinking about fishing and was wonderin...

if stripers are known to be headhunters, why does the tube just have 1 hook at the tail end? (at least the one I have just has the 1 hook). I haven't had much opportinity to try it out but I've read/heard good things about the tube so they obviously work...it just seems like there should be another hook closer to the head...

Any idea why just the one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: another tube question

Good question,, one which I've also wondered about. All I can say is they work, regardless of the fact that it goes against the fact that stripers normally take bait head on. I think the part of the Tube & Worm equation which makes it work like it does is the Worm. The tube by itself will catch far less fish than when it has a nice juicy smelly worm on the end. I think the scent of the fresh meaty worm is what turns their head and makes em look at that end. That's my theory anyway,, for what it's worth.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Bowanna

What type of worm is best? Sandworm? Bloodworm? What is the best size for the tube? I've made some from 12 inches to 20 inches. Can't wait to try them.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Pro Staff

Most people around here use sandworms, but I've had pretty good success this year with nightcrawlers as well. I've also taken a few fish, 24lbs being the largest, using the Berkely Gulp 10" eels on the hook (slathered in smelly jelly for extra scent).

Most of my tubes are 24" long and I run them on either braided or leadcore line with a 30" leader, depending on the depth I'm fishing in. Either way, make sure you have a good swivel in-line or the spinning of the tube will twist up your line. Ball bearing swivels are the best for this.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Most of my tubes are 24" long and I run them on either braided or leadcore line with a 30" leader, depending on the depth I'm fishing in. Either way, make sure you have a good swivel in-line or the spinning of the tube will twist up your line. Ball bearing swivels are the best for this.
Thanks Bait!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 AM

The tube i have is 24, red, and it does have a hook by the top of lure, and a chaser... I think it is from reellife bait and tackle, but i've been more successful with umbrellas