Essex Mass in June - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Official Member

Default Essex Mass in June

Hello all, my name is Darrell Beam and I am from the foothills of NC (Hickory). It looks like I will be in Essex Mass. around June 10th for several days. I would like to fish from shore for stripers, I have heard great things about the striper fishing in Mass. for years.
I have very little surf experience and none with saltwater stripers. I will be flying in, so room for tackle will be minimal. I have a couple of 8ft fast action 2 pc spinning rods 1/2 to 3 oz, and 1 to 4 oz. would these be sufficient? Any suggestions on tackle, (lures or bait) and locations around Essex would be appreciated as well. I can get a ride to were I am fishing and can call to get picked up when I am ready to leave, but it needs to be fairly close to Essex. Anything you can share will be appreciated. Will I need anything but the marine fisheries permit?

If your ever down this way and there is anything I can do or answer for you feel free to let me know.

Thanks
Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

Default Re: Essex Mass in June

Go here first. http://www.thefinandfeathershop.com/content/store.htm

Tell Pete the owner; Marc from NewEngland Biolabs sent ya.
Ask him for a floating sand eel from this guy in Gloucester.

http://www.micahdean.com/lures.htm

Go to Crane Beach....try the back side and the front side.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...Q&ved=0CDIQ_BI

Study the satellite image and you can figure out where to fish. Cause I'm not gonna tell ya all my secrets.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Official Member

Thanks I will check out all you sent. You need anything in NC (esp Piedmont and mountains) just let me know I will do the best I can to hook you up.

Darrell
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
swabbie

Your rod should be fine for lures - something larger would usually be used for bait. Make sure you bring waders with a belt - it will be cold that time of year and can be rough. Keep in mind the tide is stronger here - and when it's moving usually means the better striper fishing. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Official Member

Thanks again for the replies,
How do you fish the sand eel? I was surprised to see it was topwater. I thought that the sand eels hung close to the bottom. I am looking forward to this trip, it has been years since I fished totally out of my normal.

Darrell
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

I hold the rod almost parallel to the water. Pull the lure about 1 or 2 feet and pause for a second. Like a pulsing action. 1 2 3 pause. Check out the YouTube videos.
I like to go to the sand bar at Crane beach in Ipswich,MA . One town over from Essex off of RT. 133
Tide outgoing
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Email on here when your up and I'll give you a guided tour and fish with ya. I show ya some good spots and times.
I'll bring some beers and wacky tobaccy
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider View Post
Email on here when your up and I'll give you a guided tour and fish with ya. I show ya some good spots and times.
I'll bring some beers and wacky tobaccy
I will be sure to do that. No definite dates/times yet, but I will let you know. The people I am going to visit live about 4 miles from the parking lot on Argilla Road. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Darrell
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM

I work 5 mins from there. You'll be in one if the best spots in the area.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Official Member

Looks like Sunday June 9th is the only day I will have to fish, I will probably be dropped off at the Crane Beach parking lot. I looks like high tide 25 minutes after midnight and again at 1:03 pm. I usually try to get to the water at day or before but I have also been told to fish the rising tide. What do you think, Should I try night fishing Sat., or just show up with the crowd on Sunday mid-morning.

Thanks
Darrell
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
What do you think, Should I try night fishing Sat., or just show up with the crowd on Sunday mid-morning.
Night time is always the right time IMO. I'd fish an hour or two before the high tide Saturday night at LEAST up to the 6:00 a.m. low.....even an hour or two of the incoming that morning if you can muster the will to fish that long. False dawn/first light/sunrise coinciding with the change of the tide could really make for some memorable fishing. Gotta be prepared to put in some hours if ya want the best chance of getting on some fish......I usually down a large cup of coffee before heading out on an all nighter otherwise I'm ready for bed halfway through. Good luck to ya out there my friend, hope ya get on some fish. You're really hitting the area at the right time, especially in Mass. Should be plenty of good-sized fish in the area and they'll still be actively feeding after their long journey north.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Your best bet might be at night.... as by then the day time beach restrictions may be in place.... put some effort into fishing the inlet to the north of the parking lot.. the channel is near by ... the bay inside feeds several river systems and a huge marsh ( several actualy)... the herring run will still be in full swing...
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the advice I think I will try an all nighter. Do I need to pack waders?

Thanks
Darrell
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
Thanks for the advice I think I will try an all nighter. Do I need to pack waders?

Thanks
Darrell
it would be a good idea, especialy if you want to fish from some of the bars.... be careful at the north entrance.. the tide rips hard through the gut there...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Official Member

We have had a death in the family and won't be coming up your way this weekend, but I won;t to thank each of you for the replies and advice. Thanks so much, I figure I will be up that way one of these days and I will check in then to see what fishing options there may be.

Thanks Again
Darrell