Just tell me what line!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Just tell me what line!!

I just bought a Penn 10ft with a Captiva 8000 reel. I also have a 12ft that i figure i will use mostly for chunking now. I have yet to put line on the Penn reel, which i figure i will use mostly for swimbaits or lipless cranks, topwaters...

JUST TELL ME WHAT LINE TO USE!!!!

everywhere i look on this forum fishermen say Powerpro, Fireline, Braided, Mono----holy CRAP. Imagine me trying to research the best line to use and theres 500 differing threads.

whats the proper setup for poppers, swimbaits and cranks that i should put on the 10ft rod and reel, should i use a fluoro leader or heavy mono or no leader at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: Just tell me what line!!

17# Silver Thread
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Youre gonna get 500 answers here too.. Heres my TWO
30Lb power pro.. Eh..
30lb spiderwire stealth or whatever. Teflon coated.

Bottom line... BRAID. FOR EVERYTHING... EVEN chunking!

Yup I said it. now watch me get flamed. But i have .... oh 6 or 7 setups right now. All with braid except 1. Just cuz I never used it so i never changed it over from mono.

lb test depends on where youre fishing and size of fish you expect to catch.

Try em all. Thats what I did. Dont see ANY disadvantages to braid yet. Im an ass and I still dont ever get tangled or wind knots so....

p.S. I do catch big fish on light tackle too. 12lb power pro is sick with a 25lb striper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Beautiful...i would love to see people keep responding to my original thread. I sort of wanted to fire up a little mono vs. braid controversy with it and learn what I could from the mayhem that ensued.

so if i tip a braided main line with a 3 ft fluoro leader, im getting the best of both worlds sort of right? Increased feel And the low vis?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 AM

And the sinking power of fluoro. Braids tend to float.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM

The stretch can be an advantage.
I used the pink ande for a long time. You could pull a car out of the water with the stuff. Now I use the tournament green and Trilene Big game and flourocoated Pline (small diameter test)

For Braids
I've settled on Sufix performance braid and fireline. I've recently tried the fireline crystal. So far it is very good.
Both have their place. I use the mono on the multipliers and on big spinning outfits. I also use a few different spinning outfits with different braids.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Oh, I get it. Original question wasn't the same item for discussion as the second.
I'll bite.
I've been before.

I hate braid for anything other than strictly boat fishing with plugs / tins.
Braid (IMO) is way too low in the abrasion dept. to be reliable in the surf when fishing the bottom. Weeds tend to stick to it like they were super glued. Definately not for rocky areas, especially from shore. As mentioned before, low stretch can get you into trouble if hit on a short line.
Really sux on my baitcasters because I'm using thumb control on the spool (old skool) and feel for the "fluff" for control of blow-ups. Braid doesn't fluff until it's too late. Also find braid difficult to tie quickly at night for these old eyes. On top of that, it's expensive crap. Certainly has it's place,, but not on my reels except for some boat / yak duty. It's not even any good for tying tomatoe plants to the stakes!

Mono-
It's what's for fishin'
Cheap, good abrasion resistance, limited stretch, and I'm used to tying it at night with minimum difficulties. Monos have come a long ways in recent times with limited stretch, diameters, visibilities, softness, abrasiveness, etc. I also get cut up considerably less with mono.

Okay, let the begin.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM

Bunker

My advice is to get out there and fish with different lines to see what YOU like.
After some experience with wind knots, birds nests, straightened hooks, bad knots, memory issues, backing, loops, breakoffs and what have you. (not to mention near finger amputations) You will find whats right for you.

edit** added info : Floats also mentioned low stretch can get you into trouble if hit on a short line.
and conversely low stretch gets better hook sets the more distance you throw as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM

Do yourself a favor and try using some braid like PowerPro. You won't be sorry.