Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Nutha big fish question for Roc

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  5 string bass 
#1 ·
Hi Roccus,

I found a spot in the end of a creek which has been home to four or five monster stripers. 40-50" I had one on two days in a row. First time he/she ran like crazy, turned to slack me, then he spit the bomber lure out.

Second time the fish went around a sunken dead pier pilon and broke me off. I am tying off 20 Powerpro directly to the lure.

In tight cover situations like that with big fish should I:

1) Switch to 50lb, no drag, palm the reel to get the fish away from the structure, hope someone can start my boat and back her out of the structure at the same time

2) Not fish for them knowing they may end up with a bomber lure across the mouth which will probably kill the fish

3) ???? WHat do you suggest?

#2 ·
not Roc

....but I would try tying pp to barrel swivel and use some strong 40-60lb mono to the lure, leave it long enough so that when the fish takes cover the mono is taking the brunt of the scraping on structure. Thicker mono seems IMO to be alot more abrasion resistant than braid.

...but whadda I know... headbang.gif

#3 ·
first good job on finding the fish, keep it quiet or you'll have more company than you want....

Second, in heavy structure stronger line is needed, I set all my drags with a spring scale at 1/4 the rated breaking strength and NEVER TOUCH IT, remember more is not better, more pressure will find any weak link or pull the hooks, practice is the only real solution, it takes a few lost fish beforE you become adept at "hanging on" another thing I sugjest IS A 4-5' length of 40 or 50 lb florocarbon, this will not only save the bitter end of the braid but it will give a slight "springy" cushion to your line and help keep from pulling the hooks....

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice!

Gotcha

Thanks for the kudo's for finding them. Mums the word. I have been taking the advice of the vets regarding what to look for and the biggest factor is putting in the time.

Fluoro it is then. It's amazing hooking into these monsters. I've never witnessed such strength. This last fish towed my 17" CC to get back into the structure. I had him palmed and he just started towing my damn boat.

Maybe I'll anchor instead next time just far enough off the structure to keep from being towed and I got these Netters lures which look like exactly like sand eels which this school has been keying on. They are single hooks and if I can get him hooked properly there would be less chance of pulling the hook.

I think what is causing the big ones to bite is the bomber lures noise and size probably resembles a mack going after the sand eels and my guess is that they think the macks are busy going for the eels which makes them easier prey for them.

I'll let you know how I make out. May go back Sunday.

#5 ·
I can definitely vouge for the "No Play Rule" with the drag. Set it and forget it. I used to have a TERRIBLE habit of never setting my drags properly before heading out, and then trying to adjust it while doing battle with a fish capable of actually peeling line off the reel th_icon_loll.gif Believe me, there is nothing worse than than bashing your legs and ankles up on the rockiest point in town for hours in order to finally hook up with a fish that can actually fight, only to lose it because of an improperly set drag and/or palming the reel. All that time gone to waste, and go home pouting and bruised th_icon_loll.gif :bigcry: BangHead.gif

I've since finally gotten rid of that bad habit cigar.gif happy3.gif

#10 ·
Nice fish dad. I'm jealous! I was going to try last weekend but t'storms nixed that idea. I would love to go this weekend with the 4 days off but I don't think I want to drive the hour to deal with all the holiday weekend guru's. It's going to be a mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.