Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Circle Hooks

Tags
circle hooks
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fisherdee 
#1 ·
I fish for stripers on inland lake in Indiana. Use Bluegill for bait slow troll behind off shore boards about 15' deep over 40' water. Using a 5/0 circle hook and having trouble keeping the fish hooked. Gill is hooked thru both lips. Am I doing anything wrong? Last outing I had 5 hookups and landed only one 17lb stripe

#2 ·
I fish the Hudson River spring run with live herring and chunk, using 8/0 circle hooks. The fish pick up the bait and run with it, and while running with it I tighten the drag and start reeling to set the hook.

Same with shark fishing--the fish runs with the bait, tighten the drag, reel to set the hook.

Trolling may not allow the circle hook to complete the process of setting well. You may do better with J hooks...do you ever have a problem with stripers swallowing the bait/gut hooking?

Circles are designed to prevent gut hooking...jerking the rod to set the circle hook will not work. Trolling may have the same yanking effect with your circles.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I researched on here and tried the zip tie with the bluegills and the circle hook. I must say I was impressed and convinced this makes a difference. Me and a buddy caught our limit of 4, not losing a single fish. Largest was 23lb. zip ties for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.