a few questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Default a few questions

Hi,
I joined this forum last year. A lot of great info on here.

I plan on surf fishing with clams at Sandy Hook, NJ with the following set up:

Tsunami Airwave, 10 foot, 20-40lb test, lure 3-6oz.
Penn Sargus SG 6000

Do you think set up will hold up? I'm not trying to go into a gun fight with a water gun. If you know what I mean.

What are you opinions on the brided line? Is this set up capable of using braided line? It is set up with regular mono right now.

I didn't put much time in last year, but plan to much more this year. The 2 times I went last year I got skunked. I come from PA and takes me about 2 hrs to reach Sandy Hook. Do you think by Easter time it will be worth a drive out there???

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: a few questions

There are some fish being caught there now

Me, I love braided line but I don't fish chunks....I am plugging. If you're just soaking bait in the water you'd be better off with mono line....more stretch so the fish doesn't detect it as easily as braid which has very little stretch. The Airwave seems like a popular rod although I do not have one. The Sargus reel I am not sure about. I looked at them last year (not the same model) and was not impressed with them. Realistically anything will work but there are different levels of quality and performance and longevity
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Striper Hunter

You have any idea what they are catching them on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Striper Hunter

I think your setup will do just fine. The Airwave is a great rod for the money and has become popular amongst beach surfcasters. The Sargus is actually a pretty good reel and is built pretty well. It has a full metal frame and decent spool capacity with better than average drag compared to reels in its price range. As for Braided lines goes. My personal preference is I solely use mono for chunking and surf fishing as it has more stretch and it also can take a beating from shorebound debris (rocks/shells/waves etc), I use Braid now only offshore when my line isn't exposed being abused by these elements that may damage/nick the line. Others may or may not agree, but this is how I roll