Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

help on spring baits??

Tags
baits spring
3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jonny rain cloud 
#1 ·
I know …. I'm just getting antsy J

I am trying to track down info on early spring baits for the tidal rivers in LIS central (New Haven / Milford). I found some nice water this fall and would like to return in the spring (as early as possible J ). I have found a nice link so I can monitor water temps but I can't find a lot of info about seasonal bait fish, other then the late spring/summer/early fall "big bait" info. Long story short I tie fly's to winter over but can't seen to nail down what bait I will be trying to match for the spring and how early I could expect to try and get out there (once trout seasons opens it sort of becomes an obsession). I was hopping to get some spring Striper fishing in the early season, get the "trout thing" over with, and then come back to my striper waters late summer early fall. I have tried a few searches both here in the forum and in Google but I am just not getting what I am looking for (or what I want to hear just is not possible)

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
I've never fished those waters, but I'm pretty sure herring will be one of the first baitfish you'll see coming up the rivers. Someone more local could help you better with the timing. Send JimmyZ or Scone a PM, I'm sure one of those guys will have the info you're looking for :icon_thumright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.