Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Condition Updates: Tracking The Herring and Water Temperatures. 2009 Season

32K views 106 replies 42 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
as we approach the opening of the new river season i have decided to start this thread. i am only asking for river conditions not spots
ill start
nyack area river free of ice water temp about 37 degrees
heard of one day where a few (2-3) fish caught
nuttin goin

peekskill area
lots of ice floes on river water about 36 degrees
lots of debre

hopefully the nights will start going above freezing soon so the water warms up

mike

#3 ·
Re: hudson river updates

all the hudson guys coming out of hibernation?
where has everyone been all winter? now the time is closing near. as soon as the hudson threads start up and the crokus start to pop out of the ground i get happy that this winter will finally be over soon. record fish on the hudson this may, i can feel it...

#6 ·

I drive up 787 from Albany to Troy everyday and the ice has broke below the dam... still lots of ice bound up above the dam and down towards Albany.

Heres a pic from my office window looking from Troy to Albany. What a tease. The worst is when I'm working watching guys fishing.

#13 ·

Hit hudson this weekend and the fish are waking up
the water around tappen zee area is at 40 degrees
bloodworms are the trick nothing else seem to interest them
saw fish to 28" caught
another 3-4 degrees and it should light up
mike

#16 ·

went across the rip van winkle today and very few chunks of ice floating around, almost all the ice is gone!!:banana:
I go over that bridge 12 times a week. It's like a daily water conditions report! Last summer some jackass had run aground on a sandbar close to the bridge on the left side as your going from Columbia to Greene county.

#23 ·
Tracking The Herring and Water Temperatures. 2009 Season

River Temperatures

Albany 35.4
Poughkeepsie 36.1
West Point 35.8
Hastings on Hudson 36.3
Battery 43°F
Sandy Hook 43°F

#26 ·
Re: Current Hudson river condition updates

Bite was slow and steady today as water hit 40
a 10.5 and 22lber came up today so the spawners are definitly starting to move upriver
also saw alot of chesapeake fish that seem to be mixing in this year
might be a good season this year
we should see these fish up by peekskill in 2 weeks on the new moon and another influx of new spawners
magic number is 45 and it should light up
all this is taking place in tappen zee area
mike

#29 ·
Re: Current Hudson river condition updates

I just recently moved to the Spuyten Duyvil area and I will try to keep this report up to date as frequent as I can. I have a veiw of the Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge from my building and plan on being out there all spring...

I was out lastnight and it was DIRTY! I mean real dirty and SLOW!

There really has not been any action; atleast all the ice is gone!

Any other fishermen around here?

#32 ·
Re: Tracking The Herring and Water Temperatures. 2009 Season

Heading to NJ for a wedding this weekend, and have been reading up on the Hudson..never fished it before. I will be closest to the Tappan Zee area, and have heard a few things here and there about that general area for this time of year, for the beginning of the spawn. Any suggestions/ Ideas you might want to lend to a Boston/Cape Cod angler who is dying to experience another fishery during a spectacular time of year? Thanks my friends.:usa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.