Live Worms VS. Berkley Gulp! Alive! Worms - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Live Worms VS. Berkley Gulp! Alive! Worms

Hey guys, have any of you tried Berkley Gulp! Alive! Bloodworm/Sandworms? My main concern is in regards to their scent. Berkley has yet to let me down with their "Gulp! Alive!" products and I am curious if their line of worm plastics will pull the fish in as a regular worm would. I'm on a tight budget and the herring are scarce in my part of the river right now. Sands cost around $8.00 a dozen and bloods are running $12.00 a doz. and a dollar a worm is a little steep for me to risk feeding every 7 inch catfish in a mile area that I can catch on a 2 cent piece of bread. Haha. I caught close to 50 Bullheads since opener... (Just had an epiphany... I may try getting 7/0 circles instead of using my 5/0 ) It's always these early, picky schoolies that give me the most trouble to get to bite. Even when I know for a fact they're there. So I'm wondering if I would have more success if I present them with a moving presentation of the bait. Then this leads to my next question. I know BW and SW are a staple forage for Striped Bass, but are they only taking the worms in the cold waters of The Hudson because its an easy meal and they're lethargic ? Or will they bite a moving bait with the temps being as they are now? Yesterday I measured 42 degrees water temp when my session started around 11AM.

Last edited by FARObx26; 04-14-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Live Worms VS. Berkley Gulp! Alive! Worms

I fished em once from shore early last season at HH. Didn't even get a dink from a catfish :/ Haven't tried em again. TBH i found em to be extremely small and flimsy compared to a real bloodworm.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt92 View Post
I fished em once from shore early last season at HH. Didn't even get a dink from a catfish :/ Haven't tried em again. TBH i found em to be extremely small and flimsy compared to a real bloodworm.
Thanks for the response dude! I recently heard back from my Uncle on this topic as well. It seams as far as the Hudson goes, they won't touch the fake ones. My uncle did say he caught stripers in the LI Sound on fake sand worms from Berkley though. But they'll hit anything that moves when they're in the Ocean. They know what they want, and if I wan't to catch them I guess I'm gonna have to give it to them. Tight Lines dude! Thanks again for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Veteran Elite

I will vouch for them in general but i've never tried them on the river.

I use the 4 inch smelt for lakers ice fishing and to say they like them is an understatement
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Striper Hunter

I've tried bucktails and GULP! on the Hudson in a couple of areas with no bites at all. I have caught striped bass on artificial sandworms in the ocean and in Raritan Bay, but fishing in there is so different in the Hudson. Fishing the Hudson River, I've caught stripers (or someone I was with caught stripers) with bloods, sands, and one time on night crawlers. I know, I thought that I was going to be reeling in perch the whole time. Nope. I only tried them because it was all I could get.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono916 View Post
I have caught striped bass on artificial sandworms in the ocean and in Raritan Bay, but fishing in there is so different in the Hudson.
Yeah my uncle has a boat down in Jamaica and we used to catch stripers in the Long Island sound on strictly plastics, we even caught them on the cuda tubes, haha. But like you said, in the hudson its live worms and herring. =|
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Striper Hunter

I have also had little luck with them in the river. I hear if they are dense schooling and actively feeding they will take Gulps. I've used Gulp swimming mullet for light tackle in the LIS and Chesapeake bay and would argue they work better than live bait.

I would also see if you can find Fishbites Bloodworm. Another go-to in the CB. I tried them once last year in the Hudson and was able to catch one good schoolie. I might pair it on the top+bottom rig with real BW and see what is preferred.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Match the hatch of where you are fishing. That's the simple rule to live by regardless of species or location.

I've picked up Stripers in the Hudson on real worms, gulp worms, Herring and imitation shad baits. if you find what is local your good. But that is the work comes in. lol