sea worms - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Official Member

Default sea worms

i am planning to be at plum island most of tomorrow night surf fishing "one of those people that has no friend with a boat" and was planning on using eels or clams but after few calls to bait shops i have been told sea worms are working very well atm and was wondering how to set these up for surf fishing. norm setup is a hi low running 5/0-6/0 circle hooks with a 4oz weight. never used worms befor so looking for some pointers. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Re: sea worms

Sea worms are one of the few 'live' baits you can buy and are readily available. Always a solid choice. I would up the weight to 6oz, but you might be just fine. If the current is enough to keep the presentation moving around you may be safe from bottom feeding trash like crabs and whatever. That's what I always count on, but some guys use an inline cigar shaped float to keep it off the bottom a bit. Look for moving water, and pay attention to your rod. Don't walk off because bait fishing is boring. Just when you do, you'll get hit hard and miss it.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Official Member

lol i was at PI on monday when the waves where hitting the beach hard and had 2 lines out and after a few hrs got lazzy and was sitting dowm not paying attention when some guy walking buy told me i hadf somthing cause one of the rods was bent over about half way and sure enough i get to it and bait is gone and line is a twisted and knoted up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Striper Hunter

I think your hook is way too big for sea worms. I've been fishing worms my whole life and have never used anything bigger than 1/0 baitholder hook. When fish are finicky in the summer I will sometimes downsize to a #1 or as small as #2. Just thread the worm straight on the hook and let the worm do it's thing. The fish grab the worm by the head and are hooked instantly.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Official Member

well no fish but i will be cheering for the deadliest catch people as i now really hate crabs
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Go to a takle shop and ask for a worm rig with a cork float and fish it with a fishfinder.
Keep the hook tight to the cork.
If you can cast 40 to 80feet, tell us how you made out. Nice soft cast.