What knife is on your Waderbelt ?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Default What knife is on your Waderbelt ??

I've been killing at least two knives a year far the past few years and I figure it's time to move up a notch in quality.
I need something that can clip onto my belt and I can forget. A fixed handle won't work as the handle sticking up is constantly getting in the way of my tackle bag, the end of the rod, the flyline................. I've been looking for a folder that will do the job. Mission makes a solid titanium folder that would be perfect but there's no way I'm risking losing a $380 knife. Whatever it is has to be considerably less then $100. It also has to be able to withstand being constantly wet with saltwater and the clip has to be strong enough that the knife isn't knocked off and lost when a wave blasts me off a rock in Montauk (which happens a lot).

So far I'm leaning towards this one:

Christin at Spyderco customer service claims that the more it's used the tougher the steel becomes.
I'm going to get one and subject it to my normal level of abuse, we'll see if it survives (no knife has yet)
I'll report back after the fall run or earlier if need be.

Cun n paste from the Spyderco site:
.................................................. ............

Pacific Salt FRN ~ C91YL
Will NOT Rust!

MSRP $84.95

length overall 8 5/8" (219 mm)
blade length 3 13/16" (97 mm)
blade steel H-1
length closed 4 15/16" (125 mm)
cutting edge 3 3/8" (86 mm)
weight 3 oz (86 g)
hole diameter 9/16" (14 mm)
blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm)
handle material FRN

A big myth in the knife world is that out there somewhere is a knife that seriously cuts but cannot rust. Knives claiming these super powers are usually made with steels that are unable to hold a cutting edge for any measurable amount of time. Finally a steel foundry in Japan called Myodo Foundry makes this myth a reality with the introduction of a new steel called H1. H1 steel is a PH steel, meaning it is a precipitation-hardened steel. "Huh" you ask? Utilizing .1% nitrogen instead of carbon to harden the steel, it reaches a Rockwell hardness of 57-58rc. Spyderco uses H1 on its new C91 Pacific Salt model.

All internal steel parts are treated as well making them impervious to rust and pitting and of course, salt. Those challenged by cleaning and maintaining their knives will find the Pacific Salt stays rust-free even if put away wet.(This would be me ) The blade's hole is enlarged to 14mm for easier opening/closing with gloved, wet or cold hands. Textured in a checkerboard pattern, the yellow FRN handle has a grippy texture and is fitted with a reversible titanium pocket clip which positions for right-handers and lefties. The addition of a lanyard hole offers a backup method of attachment (thong or lanyard cord) for use around water where once dropped, a knife is often lost or elusively hard to retrieve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Veteran

I've got one that looks similar that a gerber and silver. I use it mainly for work but its a great knife and only $20. It hasn't been through a lot of water but I haven't taken any dives in the salt with it so I can't speak for that.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Spyderco makes a nice knife at a fairly reasonable price, I have looked at them and I think they make a serrated edge too.

This is the Knife currenly in my pocket, been good so far and on sale right now too
Gerber Knife

Spyderco makes an awesome sharpening system too, good for sharpening serrated edges or plain blades
Spydercos sharpening system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM

under 60 bucks shipped on Ebay Spyderco Pacific Salt C91PYL
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Schoolie

I'm not sure what you are using it for, but you might want to consider the spyderco scalloped blade or the mix of straight and scalloped.. the spyderco blade is much better at cutting through rope/line/warp in an emergency situation.

I've been carrying a Spyderco Delica for the last couple of seasons and it has held up well in the salt.

-- Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I have two, both have seen it all...

The oldest one is about 20 years old, it's a Kershaw, IMHO they make the finest knives in the world.. I have fillet knives used as utility knives on the boat that dont rust and get no special treatment, may a wash in bleach once a month...

I have several Kershaws, but were concerned with the belt knives, it has been dunked, lost in the sand, loaded with fish gusts and put away that way until spring, a wipe with CRC 556 a few swipes on a diamond stone and it is sharp enough to shave with, I bought it off a Snap on tool truck 20 years dont know if they still make the model, it's all stainless with staghorn handle inlays.

the Gerber is only about 5 years old, I bought it at Lowes during a tool promotion, it's titanium and stainless, I use it at work to cut wires, break down boxes, scrape gaskets from parts, it is always on my hip when I fish and gets no special treatment, I use it to cut bait, gut fish and often times it gets passed around the deck, last year it spent the winter in my surf bag after getting drowned in the surf while fish a N'oreaster from the surf, it's up and running with only minor discoloration to the blade, I think it retailed for about 50 bucks..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Re: What knife is on your Waderbelt ??

No matter what. - I'll lose it and swear somebody stole it on me.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Striper Hunter

$62

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-C88PYL-...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Usually its my Dexter Russell.They are reasonably priced,they will lose and edge fast but sharpen quickly.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 PM
First Mate

I had posted on this before, I think in the Pliers or waders thread(maybe not though-do think waders thopough). I had a friend who had passed away who was a knife builder and designed several knives for Spyderco and Benchmade. He is credited for bringing the Tanto style to the US, his name is Bob Lum. He was not a close friend but we spoke many times and always met when he was in NY as the BladeExpo. Right before his passing he had spent much time in Seki Japan, Seki-Cut has a few of his designs. If you ever have a chance to get one of his knives-do it as it is art.
Look for a knife made in Seki Japan as this is where the best knives and steel comes from. Not all knives from there are good but many are and with the NET is not hard to find out. Try this link, I think you will find something that will more than suit your needs. Makers are listed on the left
http://www.japaneseknifewholesale.com/Page22.html

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/BobLumDesign.html

If Bob was still alive you could of had him make you a knife that you would use the rest of your life then your children could do the same. If you wanted H1 then he would have used it.

H1 is not an uncommon steel as it is used in may applications. There steels that hold an edge much better than H1 but don't have the same corrision properties

Spyderco is using some of the steel from the Myodo Foundry, Before Bob's passing he had been working with Myodo also