Experienced opinions wanted for spooling braid. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Experienced opinions wanted for spooling braid.

I have been very fortunate this year. A decent job and a healthy family have allowed me to enjoy some fishing, and the holidays have brought upgrades into my gear locker.

I now have a couple of nice Shimano rod and reel combos that I will be spooling up. I'm interested in trying braided line, as these reels are "braid ready" and the rods were designed with braid in mind.( smaller eyes).
SO, I'd love to hear some ideas from braid users. The rods are Tiralejo 9' and 10' surf rods, bought on a 50% off sale, and the reels are a Saragosa 8000 and Sustain 8000, both leftovers from '07 stock. Great gear at good prices, way beyond my usual needs. l'll be surf fishing sandy and rocky shores, jetty fishing and inlet fishing channels and marshes. I would generally use 15-20 lb. mono for the lighter stuff and 30-40 lb mono for the bigger surf and eel casting. I have searched the forum and read up quite a bit on braid, as well as talked to tackle shops, but I'd rather get advise from people USING the stuff than people SELLING the stuff.

Your experiences shared will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Experienced opinions wanted for spooling braid.

I am a big fan of Berkley Fireline. Depending on the line capacity of the reel I use anywhere from 30 LB - 65 LB test and will typically use a fluoro leader of 40LB or 50LB. The fireline is rounder than most which helps prevent tangles and also has a coating which helps as well. Fireline is thicker than other braids so you get less spooled onto a reel so if that is an issue you might consider suffix 40 or 50 LB test. I have never liked power pro but that is just me
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Cow Catcher

I use PP on my reels without a Problem so far.. knock on wood. When it does me wrong, I'll be switching to suffix.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm a Power Pro hater, had two bad spools back in the day that cost me a number of custom plugs. I refuse to touch the stuff again.

Fireline is the line of choice on older reels like the Penn Spinfishers but since you aren't spooling up any older reels you can go to better lines with tighter weaves that will throw a lot further.

Suffix would be an excellent choice

Stren Superbraid has worked well for me.

Cortland makes excellent braid

Tuffline is another good choice

I'd buy the one that's on sale