Surfcasting Plugs & lures - clips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 AM
First Mate

Default Surfcasting Plugs & lures - clips

I do most my fishing from the beaches in Ct. I recently took a trip to Cabela's for some tackle and came across these Norman's Quick Change thingy's for easy lure changing. OK so I bought a few but my question is I have been useing a metal 24" leader with clasp so i could make the changes easy enough. Is there a + or - from one to the other, i just figured if I hook the occasional Blue the metal leader would be an advantage ?

thanks
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Surfcasting Plugs & lures

who cares if you catch the occasional blue and lose a hook? who;d want it anyway.. unless you only want to catch bluefish "not that a piece of bait won't get taken by a bass on a steel leader". but, tossing lures with a steel leader is not a great idea. now, if you permanently crimp a steel leader onto a kastmaster or krockodile and have a swivel on the other end? then you have a bluefish rig not likely to get ripped out of a snapswivel or coastlock which does happen. and even a popper affixed like that is fine. but bucktails/needles/bombers/storm shads/and darters - danny's- and all other swimmer plugs? can't say i'd use a steel leader for. a heavier fluoro leader (80#) will work around bluefish for so long but not so well with smaller lures/plugs. when you plug try to stay away from anyone throwing bait. chances are, bluefish are drawn to that area and will swipe your plug. i all too well understand your wanting to save a plug from bluefish but if you have a few "bluefish ready" steels/tins and a popper ready rigged, then you can have at it with them when that particular bite is all you got going for you at the time. expect to lose a plug or two or ten. just the nature of the game. but having a few stand-by rigs at the ready for when you don't want to waste any of your decent plugs on bluefish is always an option most will afford themselves "in my area anyway"

Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM
First Mate

I think you misunderstood, i'm not concerned about losing a plug or a lure,
my main concern was to change lures or plugs quickly and still get the action that the lure should produce. I just figured a steel leader would allow that and have something a bluefish wouldn't bite through in the event one hits it. Mainly i'm afters Stripers.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no, i understood everything. that's why i gave you that rundown.
the losing of the plug scenario was added as i know your fishing in connecticut. go buy some Breakaway clips (they look like paper clips but heavier gauge). i have had them for years for other rigs and that seems to be the way to go and it works.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Official Member

Wink Re: Surfcasting Plugs & lures

i started to use breakaway clips in 09 season love em i also use a 40lb fluorocarbon leader move it up to a 50lb test when bigger blues hit have not lost a lure yet just got to keep and eye on how bad the leader is fraying. i keep 4 backups in my surf bag my main fishing is in the night so blues are not to much of a problem for me. i do use steel in morning when the blues are in a feeding frenzy. tight lines all in 2010

Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the input guys,
I have purchased some Normans Quick change lure things, from Cabela's, but i will keep
my eyes peeled for the breakaway clips when i stop at the bait shop.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM

You can get them direct from www.breakawayusa.com

They are called fast links or spin links
http://breakawayusa.com/shop/spinfastlinks.jpg
Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Thanks Jim,
gonna try the norman things i got at Cabela's, when the time comes, but I kept their website for future ref.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Breakaway clips are great. I can use them for plugging but I can also leave them on and put on a 6/0 hook and throw on an eel.

I prefer to use a fluorocarbon leader of say 40 LB test but that is just me

There's a new clip coming out from Tactical Anglers that is similar to the Breakaway but stronger and a slightly different design on it helps to keep the line from sliding around

Maybe we'll do some surf fishing this year? I am not far from Ct
Old 02-06-2010, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Sounds good Double, give a yell when you're headin this way .
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Breakaways are great. There are a few other companies that make that style also like BillFisher and such. I have used both and I cant say there is a difference in quality
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i like fluorocarbon for certain reasons.
i usually use 30# max and in cases of throwing bombers/redfins and small surface plugs i will use mono as fluoro is heavier or if i'm looking at crystal clear water 15#-20# yo-zuri hybrid - and i won't use a clip or anything on those. i won't use heavier fluoro as it's not necessary imo. if your in the rocks your in the rocks. i'm more concerned with stealth than how much it will cost to replace if it's damaged. sure there are times when you are in areas it makes sense to bump up but where i am fishing most of the spring it is fine. i'm curious about the 6/0 hook? you fishing for sharks? a 4/0 hook is more than sufficient for eeling. i know it works so not knocking it. lets get that straight as i have been known to say things and get people jerked up. i even went so far as to take a black marker to the lips and hooks of swimmers so bluefish don't see the metal and hit it. this caught on one afternoon when i got two bass in a predominantly bluefish blitz. i did lose that plug however but for me 2 bass and 3 bluefish on a plug before it's stolen is like impressive where i fish if i do say so myself.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i even went so far as to take a black marker to the lips and hooks of swimmers so bluefish don't see the metal and hit it. this caught on one afternoon when i got two bass in a predominantly bluefish blitz. .

damnn that actually works? i've always wondered if covering up the shiny part would stop the blues but was always worried about the scent of the ink...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it could ward off evil spirits but by the time they smell it it's already slammed. i don't condone any scent on plugs or lures but it's expensive to lose so many of these things trying for a bass. why i mostly flyrod now.
i'd refrain from doing it if i lived up by you guys.
between the racer blues/tailor blues/gorrilla blues/cocktail blues/and every conceivable bluefish imaginable, it's just a way of life to fight through them. roc said he'd hang himself if he had to go thru this. nice..... makes my heart all warm and cozy hearing that..

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Surfcasting Plugs & lures - clips

Alot of buzz about Crazy Als tactical angler clips. Heres some comparison and differences. Thanks to walleyeman and eisey from noreast for the research.
Click image for larger version

Name:	clips.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	12872

Breakaway Fast (FL1) and Spin (SL2) Links - Fast Links (80 Lb)
Breakaway clips are fast becoming the preferred method of connecting your lure to your line for many striped bass fisherman. Here are some reasons why:
Easy On and Off - Changing lures can be tough in cold weather or when wearing gloves. These clips make struggling to open up your snap or reaching for the pliers a thing of the past. They make changing lures fast and easy.
No Weakening of Metal - Opening and closing a snap repeatedly can weaken the metal over time leaving you open to the possibility of losing a plug or worse, a plug AND the fish attached to it.
10 per pack - At under $4 per 10 pack these clips are both functional AND economical. edgeangling.com

Tactical Fishing Clips are made from a single thick stainless steel wire to provide maximum strength and dependability. Available in 125 lbs or 175 lbs test. 8 per pkg. Price at Paulie's ($5.39 per pkg)

Backlash Spin / Fast Clips
These clips have a turned up arm for ease of use in the dark, by feel, or in the cold, when your fingers are numb. Stainless steel, packaged in lots of 25.
Available in three sizes: XL Fast Clips – 150#, Fast Clips - 80# and Spin Clips - 60#. Price at Paulie's ($7.19)