Just got the striper bug! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 AM

Default Just got the striper bug!

Hey guys, I live in the central valley of california. Everyone fishes for striper here in the reservoir and canals. I fish alot of LMB, but in the winter time that slows to a stop while people are slammin stripers! I have been asking a ton of people about a striper setup and have been getting a ton of different answers. I recently found this site so I thought id ask here (im sure you guys are sick and tired of this question so I am sorry in advance). I plan on throwing alot of topwater plugs and spooks and what not, along with deadsticking cut anchovies often and possibly live bait every once in a while. I was recommended the 8 foot inter coastal ugly stick paired up with the 10lb pflueger president reel. How is this setup? I also have a brand new 5000 Abu Round reel that I wouldn't mind pairing up with a rod recommended to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Just got the striper bug!

Do some searches as you will find a lot of different answers already on this site

Personally I think the Ugly Stick combo would be just for chunking

For plugging and live eels use a 9' - 11' surf rod

HMMMM stripers in Cali in the winter???? Maybe I can drop off the wife and kids at Disney at I can hit the surf there. Hope there are no surfboarders in the way
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome Doublerunner. I did a bit of searching, but I dont do any surf fishing. All of my fishing is being done from canals and banks of the reservoir .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Bump for some suggestions?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canal Stalkin
I was recommended the 8 foot inter coastal ugly stick paired up with the 10lb pflueger president reel. How is this setup? I have been asking a ton of people about a striper setup and have been getting a ton of different answers.
The reason you have gotten different answers or no answers is because there are just too many variables for one setup and this changes according to where and how you plan on fishing.
A move to the west coast forum may elicit some answers specifically for the aqueduct. (aka the cement river)
Remember Its the teminal tackle and the presentation that catches the fish. The rod and reel are tools to get it there and land them.
Both your setups will work fine for what they are rated for -ie -if your not casting far and the fish arent going to out muscle you.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 AM
drilltrash

i live in northern california. i'll list 2 set up's that i would suggest.

dobyns rod - model 795SBMT 7'9" 1pc. 15-30lb, 1-5oz, Med/Hvy Fast Action Swimbaits, Mag Topwaters
http://www.dobynsrods.com/rods.html $229
awsome rod, kinda pricy, but worth it if you can spare it! this whole line of rods are kick ass! this rod was made for throwing heavy topwaters, specifically lunker punkers, awsome baits, 6 and 8 inch, plastic and wood $20-50 http://www.basstackledepot.com/black...kerpunker.aspx

for a reel i would go with a shimano curado 300 this reel has a high line compacity and is sooooo smooth! $250
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ANO-SC3ER.html

for a more moderate priced set up i would go with an abu garcia revo s
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...UGAR-AGRS.html $129 i own 3 of these and they are awsome for the price!

for a rod, i would go with a mojo bass rod
MBC70HFSlop-N-Frog7'HFast114 - 253/8 - 11/25.33$ 110
or
*MBC68MXFTopwater6'8"MX-Fast18 - 141/4 - 5/83.92$ 100
i prefer a medium heavy to heavy rod for stripers with topwater.

i have 6 or 7 other technique specific set ups, send me a pm if you have any questions. hope this helps!