Full Moon - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 AM
SomtinFishy

Default Full Moon

How dose the Full Moon affect Fishing the next morning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Full Moon

Im sure someone else can give you a smarter answer but the full moon provides the highest of high and lowest of low tides for that month. During a full moon take a walk at low tide around your favorite spot and you will see things that you never knew were there. Submurged rocks are exposed, structure and other such things... High tides, not so sure how thats effected... Welcome to the Site.

Bryan
Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 PM

This is a chart from your AREA hope it helps.

http://www.timsfishpages.com/fish/fishchart/fcf.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 08:48 PM

Get out there and fish and keep logs. At the very least mental ones.
Moon rise - moon set - sun rise - sun set. Do they coincide?
Highest tides - lowest tides. These are called spring tides and happen again during no moon or the new moon. Most prefer the new moon as the best time for big fish.
Its not as complicated as it sounds. You will begin to understand how the current flows, and how washouts and moving water creates rips and eddies and the like.
"How does it effect the next morning?"
That all depends on the wind, the water, the weather, the water temperature,the presence of bait, the barometer, the cloud cover, the solunar table, the allignment of the stars, the earths magnetic field, whats happening in the solar winds of jupiter, and perhaps most importantly the color of the rabbits foot in your back pocket. And if your home on the computer on Saturday night like me your not catching a damned thing.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

lmfao

Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem426 View Post
How dose the Full Moon affect Fishing the next morning?
While it's something I generally keep to myself,,, Moon Phase in it's self is a "part" of the bigger picture. Many things contribute to finding actively feeding fish and the moon is just a part of the equations.
Moon (full/new) phase is like a rumor. Sometimes it's pertinent, sometimes not.
Lots of the gatherings were place on New Moon Tides.
Full/New moons tend to bring moderately drastic changes in the weather with winds, temps, pressures etc. I feel this can effect fishing more than the extra or lack of moonlight or extra tide ranges.
Plus the above mentioned particulars can be "triggers" of sorts.
If your fishing an ocean front area, reef, etc. and it's June or July, you maybe disappointed to find the fishing has fallen off to zilch. Only to hear the Fly fishing guys were cleaning up in the back waters on a worm hatch.
Or in the fall when fishing has been good on the beach, the full/new moon brings bigger winds. The beach gets beaten, water gets sandy, bait looks for areas without the sand storm and the next thing you hear is the guys fishing the rocks (less sandy) of Narragansett had a couple of killer days while you were on the beach scratching your head as to what happened.
So in short, Full moon should definitely be considered,,, But don't expect a certain spot to be killer just because of moon light or lack of it.
Stripers eat all the time. Just need to figure out which diner they prefer (actually where the bait feeds) in certain conditions.
I feel that sometimes the moon can be only 15-20% (at best) of the equations. You've got to use it to evaluate the rest of the picture for success.
Folks have told me I don't know what I'm talking about before,, they could be right. But this has served me well, and the more pieces of the puzzle I've learned, the better it serves.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 AM

Thumbs up Re: Full Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Get out there and fish and keep logs. At the very least mental ones.
Moon rise - moon set - sun rise - sun set. Do they coincide?
Highest tides - lowest tides. These are called spring tides and happen again during no moon or the new moon. Most prefer the new moon as the best time for big fish.
Its not as complicated as it sounds. You will begin to understand how the current flows, and how washouts and moving water creates rips and eddies and the like.
"How does it effect the next morning?"
That all depends on the wind, the water, the weather, the water temperature,the presence of bait, the barometer, the cloud cover, the solunar table, the allignment of the stars, the earths magnetic field, whats happening in the solar winds of jupiter, and perhaps most importantly the color of the rabbits foot in your back pocket. And if your home on the computer on Saturday night like me your not catching a damned thing.
I can understand ALL that.LMAO