Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Scusset Beach

Tags
beach scusset
26K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  DigtheDitch 
#1 ·
Hey all, been a while since I have gotten out but was thinking of hitting the Scusset beach end of he canal this weekend.

Just wondering if here are any recommendations and or comments about this area. Was planning to try the beach side as well as the canal side.

Thanks

Mke

#4 ·
i had all my luck on the canal side, although i remember one night where some guys on the jetty nailed three keepers right after another i believe the tide was in,going out, i just found that i like the canal side better but both sides def produce. What i like to do is set up close so i can bounce around to each side that's if its not crowded which it can get sometimes. I haven't been down there in a month or so though,after losing 30 bucks in gear in the span of an hour or so i have been staying around Boston lately .Good luck though

#5 ·
during the daylight hours the odds of catching a striper are better in the canal....however i have seen bait trapped out front along the jetti during the fall run..keep your eyes and ears open to what the water is telling you. if your fishing at night you have to consider both out front and in the canal. out front the water is REALLY shallow...if you have done your homework about live eels and shallow water you may hit the jackpot...but often its a crap shoot. try to get there during the day to read the water...there are a few bars and holes out front you can work your bait around at night when the odds are better. if you decide to work the beach and come up empty handed....work the canal like a two dollar hooker. bass big enough to spool a googan like me have been known to lurk the canal shoreline near that jetti....especially in the fall. good luck.

#9 ·
Ive Been fishing around there all year several times a week. There big fish around and the black ron-z has worked well but the bill hurley has worked even better. The fish are scattered so dont expect to do well chasing reports. Also now that ive seen them with my own eyes there were some rather large tuna around wednesday am. I saw one try to eat a bluefish...very suprising. The guys at redtop mentioned getting spooled using a 9 inch majic swimmer....ive been throwing one and havent had that happen yet.

#13 ·
Understood. Thanks for taking them down.

#18 ·
Ive seen the tuna and the stupid sharks....there are still big fish to be caught there, use eels at night in the deep holes or the larger eddy's. The J. has been a good area for the eels if you know where I am talking about.

#22 ·
Agreed, 30" or longer. Going down two 40# will help pick up a extra bite or two. Don't look past using the black 3 or 4 oz Ron-Z either. Also the Magic Swimmer and Stick Shad have done really well. I'll launch pics after the season is over to avoid spot burn.

#26 ·
Thanks for the good luck it worked. Used wind to the advantage, found bait, caught fish. As for the braid recommendation, there are plenty of other threads about it so use the search button, you'll find tons of good threads about it. The cusk are running hard down there these days.

#27 ·
Big fish everywhere down there now! Pick your favorite tactic and fish you'll hook up. Eels at night are the best bet at big fish.

#29 ·
Fish the "canal" side? Lol, please dont post specific areas of the canal. As mentioned before you cant follow reports for the canal because the fish dont stay put. Get out and fish...

#32 ·
There's no fish in the canal or on the infinite canal side!

#33 ·
Ok so I made it down to Scusset again over he weekend and learned a few things by watching some guys that were probably locals.

It was slack low tide (I Think) so I threw on my waders and headed out to about waist deep and started tossing some sand eels 10' Okuma surf rod with matching reel, 25lb spider wire w/1oz of lead and a 30lb FC leader, and low and behold I nailed a few schoolies about 26 inches or so, and one of the guys that was 25 yards or so away from me hit one that must have been about 45 inches. He was using the same technique and it seemed to be very effective.

Things I learned;

1. I dont have to sit up on the wall and toss a giant chunk of mack with 6 ounces of lead. Thank God because I was tired of losing tackle.

2. Low tide can be effective.

Things I would like to know;

1. How long into the fall will this type of technique be effective?

2. Based on my explanation of the rig I was using are there any recommendations or was I using the proper set-up.

3. Does this same type of technique work during all phases of the tide??

Thanks
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.