Odd quote from Striper Information page - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Official Member

Default Odd quote from Striper Information page

I found this quote in the stat's striper page and found it odd. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't this scare the fish away from the bait?

" When bait fishing, the preferred rig consists of a pyramid sinker attached as a fish finder, and a long leader with a brightly colored float attached close to the hook. The float keeps the bait away from the bottom-dwelling crabs and skates."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Odd quote from Stirper Information page

bluefish rig

Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Odd quote from Stirper Information page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
I found this quote in the stat's sriper page and found it odd. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't this scare the fish away from the bait?

" When bait fishing, the preferred rig consists of a pyramid sinker attached as a fish finder, and a long leader with a brightly colored float attached close to the hook. The float keeps the bait away from the bottom-dwelling crabs and skates."
I use a similar set up when deadsticking with sandworms and it's proven most effective for catching fish. The surf in OOB doesn't "usually" get too high but the undertow tends to be rather strong. I attach a 5 or 6 oz. pyramid sinker (depending on the surf) to an 80# snap swivel/cross lock coming off my main line, then an 18" leader with either an orange cigar float or styrafoam ball float a few inches up from my hook. Even better use a rattle float, especially ideal for fishing at night to attract fish from a greater distance!!!! The only problem I run into with this is when the surf is real high the swaying of the line underwater picks up every last bit of seaweed, bogs your line down and you have to recast every 10-15 minutes.

StriperHyper ~ Will