650ss pinion gear replacement - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default 650ss pinion gear replacement

Hi,

I burnt out the pinion gear on my 650 this weekend, and wanted to know if any of you guys could talk me through the replacement of it. It looks like there are a lot of things to remove before you can get it out.

thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: 650ss pinion gear replacement

Khary was that a 650 or a 6500?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Jim,

Its the old style 650 like the one you got. I ordered the part I'm just not sure what has to come off to get it out.
How was your ride back on monday? I passed right out when I got home.
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM

It sounded like the main gear when I cranked it. Thats a 6500ss.
Here are the schematics. 4 screws, two wrenches. One on each side of the gear to unscrew it. Just keep it lined up properly and put it back the same way you took it apart.

I hung around monday but didnt fish. the schools never came close to shore. I was starting to get confused by mid afternoon on Sunday, i felt like my brain was 02 starved. I thought I'd be dead but after a nights sleep I was relatively ok. I am sore from hair to toes but its a good sore. My fingers and hands are chewed up pretty good.
Talk about paying dues huh. No wonder some of these arrogant bastids walk right by people when they ask them questions.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you wanna get walked through that khary, the pinion gear part is like 8 or 9 bucks but the effort will give you a headache. take the spool off and uscrew the rotor and take it off. take the ratchet off which is a washer screw and unscrew the bearing cover. there is a spacer then a lever screw which holds down the transfer lever and you should be able to get to the bearing and remove it. but now the tricky part is getting the pinion out if that is stripped as it is only made of brass. (genious) take the housing cover which is where the handle is going in. you have to take out the main gear and i believe to do that you need to take off the bushing cap on the bottom of the reel and pull down the shaft bushing. now if i were me i would save a headache and send it to penn and pay (they only accept credit card) parts and labor for that is like 35 bucks tops. i don;t have the time to fiddle around with anything or i would give it a shot for you. print the schematic and adjacent parts list and follow the leader. lol. i am rootin for ya dude! piece of cake

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Jim
I took it apart and its definitely the pinion gear I actually used that same site you put as a link to check what part it was. You looked beat on Sunday, but I got to say your a trooper my friend!

Zim,

it looked like it would be a pain. I think I'll give it a shot, and if I don't get it done right I'll take it over to West end B&T. My own fault for horsing fish in.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM

Khary dont bother with it. i have a solution.
If the parts on order when it comes in we'll get Dr. Zim to do open heart surgery on it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Khary dont bother with it. i have a solution.
If the parts on order when it comes in we'll get Dr. Zim to do open heart surgery on it.
I don't want to be a bother. I should learn how to do it any way.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i hate to say it but the mistake would be to send it to penn. and the real mistake would be letting me perform a LENGTHLY procedure on it. the doctor is in but his hours are for the birds. if ou do take it apart and fail, taking it to the B&t shop taken down would be somewhat of a pia for the guy as he would need to take it apart himself for the repair. just out of experience. your fault for horsing a fish? yea! your fault for leaning on the reel handle while doing so even more your fault. your fault for fishing with jim? you betcha! lmfao

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM

I should have clarified the solution Dr. Kovorkian. That reel has an evil twin brother. We arent pressed for time for the repair. it may be fun to tinker
At least khary doesnt smoke those horrid stogies when hes fishin beside you.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Well I hope to make that mistake again. fishing with jim that is.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i was joking ya know> busted tackle - people taking kiddie rides in the surf- yep. fishin with jim is not a mistake, it;s an adventure! and all i have to say is SIGN ME UP!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Your realy should replace both gears, they wear as a set, even though ther pinion is the one that is stripped out..... If you dont want to send it to Penn or Zim, send it to me, I've done so many of those I can do it with my eyes closed.. It will take me a tops of 15 minutes to do the job...
Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i was joking ya know> busted tackle - people taking kiddie rides in the surf- yep. fishin with jim is not a mistake, it;s an adventure! and all i have to say is SIGN ME UP!
Thats the honest truth.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Your realy should replace both gears, they wear as a set, even though ther pinion is the one that is stripped out..... If you dont want to send it to Penn or Zim, send it to me, I've done so many of those I can do it with my eyes closed.. It will take me a tops of 15 minutes to do the job...
Thanks for the offer Roc. I don't want to take up any ones time, but that being said after reading Zims post on how to do it and looking at the schematics its looks like something I should watch someone do first before giving it a go on my own.