Poestenkill Creek - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Official Member

Default Poestenkill Creek

Driving through south Troy today I noticed that signs stating "No Trespassing Troy Police Department," have been put up on the chain link fence on the alleyway by the falls at First Street. Anybody know what's up with that? Is it meant to prevent fishing at the falls? Can you still fish from outside the fence? From the bridge on First Street? From the creek bed itself? Can I still paddle a canoe or kyak up from the river (as far as you can go, then wade)? Anybody know someone in Troy government or the police department that could shed some light on the subject?
Why does Troy hate fishermen?
I can file a FOIL request, but if somebody knows....
Remember, you got to fight for your right to party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Poestenkill Creek

I sent an email to the Mayor of Troy and was pleased to receive a response stating fishing would still be permitted from outside the fence and the bridge, but that the Police Department was trying to dissuade people from accessing the creekbed itself by wading or boat. It really is a pretty gnarly place, lots of concrete and junk all the way from the river to the falls. I responded to the person who replied with my thanks, but questioned the City's authority to restrict access to tidal waters. I don't intend to raise any sort of ruckus at this point, see what the spring run brings.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the update on that. I noticed it myself the other day but figured I would wait and see what the deal was once spring got a little closer. And can't blame them for worrying over liability...the place is full of metal and glass (used needles...). Not to mention some of the characters I have run into down there...

I tend to fish from the bridge when I can, but it will likely get even more busy now. Ah well, politeness and patience with others will work I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Striper Hunter

the posty during striper season is a lawless place ,i dont see anything changing. i just dont see it. signs mean nothing in troy
Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Official Member

It is what it is, no doubt. But before the herring start hitting in the river.... Plus, its just a cool place.

Maybe the scap net I bought from Just Need That One Bite last year will solve that problem. Worked in Kingston well enough later in the season.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedick View Post
the posty during striper season is a lawless place ,i dont see anything changing. i just dont see it. signs mean nothing in troy
+2....The Circus comes to town.