New owner of a Van Staal VS100 reel. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Fiiiishy...fishy, fishy, fishy...I got plastic for you...

Default New owner of a Van Staal VS100 reel.

Hello all,
First time I post here but have been a long time reader, thank you all for the valuable info I have found in this forum. Just a bit about myself, I live in Phoenix AZ but I grew up in NYC...miss the ocean and boat fishing. I have two hobbies, I fly full size airplanes and also model airplanes (they cost A HOLE LOT MORE money than the best gear for fishing) and, of course, fishing.

Have just bought a new, black Van Staal VS100 reel for $599.00 (I think was a good price). I know, most of you would say to get the ZeeBaas reel but after a very long time reading and researching the ZeeBaas reels, with a gun to my head, I don't like the new model with the thumb screw on the cover. Have tried to find the old model with the six screws on the crank cover but nobody had one in stock. Have even called to company to see if they have one in stock, lost somewhere, but no luck.
Back to Van Staal, I have read all the posts here with the pro and cons regarding the reel but I don't mind a tight reel, I like it this way. The reason I got the Van Staal, I am tired of all the classic looking reels, was looking for something different and the options were limited to ZeeBaas, Van Staal and Evergreen Opus-1. The other choices were Shimano and Daiwa also in the upper $700. Thus have decided to buy a US made, solid, water proof, saltwater ready reel. If the ZeeBaas design will change and bring back the old style look, I will get one on them as well.
So, now I am looking forward for your imput, from the ones that have the reel, how they like it after a few years of use. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: New owner of a Van Staal VS100 reel.

Good choice on the VS. But if your going to buy a z cause it looks cool A= you have too much money or B= Your not really a fisherman but you do fish here and there and you have too much money. The vs only stays tight if you don't use it. I don't have a Z but have fished one. It felt awesome but there are big threads on most sites about the Z's having issues. Thats why I have a VS and not a Z. I also know a couple people who love their Z's. Congrats on the reel. Now beat the piss out of it and get your $'s worth.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 AM

The answer is a bit of B but most is C: I go by the concept that "I am too poor to buy cheap" and got tired of buying cheap stuff only to replace it a season later (valid for most stuff).
In all the threads I have read, I never found any that mention problems with the Zee reel, most of the threads were about people switching from Vans to Zees. Can you please point the articles that people have trouble with the Zees? Thanks.
The Van reel will be used a lot, with a vengeance. Looking forward to have something (in this case a reel) that I can relay on it perfroming when needed, and looks good/different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoma View Post
Thus have decided to buy a US made, solid, water proof, saltwater ready reel. If the ZeeBaas design will change and bring back the old style look, I will get one on them as well.
Too bad VS is made in China now, not the US.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with the ZX2 with the thumb screw on the sideplate. I use mine in some of the most extreme conditions possible and that has never been an issue.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 AM

There were more than a few complaints on the Zeebaas regarding the drag knob and sand getting underneath. This was corrected with a not very available rubber gasket for the original production models and apparently built into the newer models. The practical fix was to use silicon in the drag holes.
There was also an issue with a handful that had breached seals that were also fixed and or corrected by the company.
The Z is an awesome reel as is the Van Staal.
The advantage of the Zeebass is in the ability to take it apart without any kits and its versatility in changing rotors and spools.
Self servicing is an advantage but I dont think that its versatility is any great selling point. The spools are over 300 bucks each.
One other small item discussed regarding the zeebaas was the dual roller system option. The advantage is the easy line pickup but the disadvantage is that if the spool isn't fully extended the line can get caught in the roller on the cast, virtually defeating the purpose of the no bail in the first place. This is quickly fixed with a bit of technique and placement of the spool during the cast.
My advice would be to purchase one with a single roller and the counterweight.

Penn puts out their high end spinning saltwater version torque reel in December.

Best of luck with your Van Staal you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 PM

UPDATE

Today I upgraded the Van Staal VS100 to VS150 for $20.00 more. Also I was able to find a ZeeBaas 22RD new, old style that I will get. The Van Staal will go on a custom made Seeker CJB90F rod 8' with PacBay aluminum reel seat, Hypalon grips and Fuji BSVLG guides. As for the ZeeBaas, it will be paired with an AmTak SW1088 9' blank, Ti guides, Hypalon grips, PacBay aluminum reel seat,... a future project. Those will be my last reels since are good quality and will last. Had to take money from the aviation projects to finance those.