Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Another RI Blitz

Tags
blitz
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sea sea rider 
#1 ·
Fresh Pond Rocks had zip today, so I drove down the coast a way to Weekapaug and found a monster blitz going on. Got to the action and instantly was into schoolies, 18-25". It was awesome, knee deep in the water with stripers hammering peanuts all around me. Cast any direction with a 4" shad and fish on.

Even caught a monster blue at 42". I really thought I had a keeper until it lept from the water. Never shook his head, just pulled like a striper.

From about 12:00-2:00 landed 53 stripers and 2 blues; and left while stripers were still boiling on top and pushing bunker onto the sand.

Gotta love the fall. Mid day, brisk northerly wind, 38 degress, and FISH!!

#3 ·
awesome night.
That is one slammer of a blue. I think the record is like 27 pounds.
I was on a party boat several years back and won the pool with something close to 20.

#4 ·
Truth told on the blue, it fought like a puss. I mean, it was heavy and pulled line, but not like it should have for it's size. It was either sick, or recently been caught and released and was still worn out.

Small blues in RI right now are 30". Not many around, but they move in big schools. I could see the dark patches on water crusing the coastline. My only cast into the dark brought the big blue. I was hoping for stripers, and I didn't feel like sacrificing any more soft plastics.

I just looked up the RI state record for blues, 26#, 39". How about that, but I'll bet anything there lots of other guys who bested that this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.