Stocking a wiper/striper tackle box from scratch... - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Stocking a wiper/striper tackle box from scratch...

Need a few of these for the flash and vibration. http://www.reefrunner.com/store/cica...&Series=Series
I like red on chrome and glow on chrome.

I like a 8.5 -9.5 pole for trolling. Something that will handle 30lb line.
When trolling for hybrids...set the drag very loose as these fish will slash at the bait and could remove pole and holder from your boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Wiper Guru

Bass Pro has the stump jumper. You got that right. Get some 4 inch tails to use in the spring and fall, and six inchers for the hot weather. They are great trolled long line, cast and bumping the bottom, and long cast and fast retrieves. There is something about that little spoon that drives them crazy.

The rods I love are also from Bass Pro. They're called IM7 Trouney Specials and right now they are on sale for $39-49, depending on features. You get a choice of handles and they hold up forever. I have about six or seven of them now, and whenever a new guy comes on the boat and starts using one of them, he always wants to know where I got them. The fish great! and they're comfortable to use all day. They also go on sale in the early fall and late spring each year.

This year is my first year for baitcasters, but I bought an Ambassador 5501 right hand retrieve. It felt backwards, so I sold it to a buddy and got a left hand retrieve. I love it! Talk about a reel that will cast a 1 ounce lure half a mile--that's the one. I doubt you could hurt the thing if you had to, and it holds nearly 300 yards of line. On that point, the Trions I use are spinning rigs. They are sturdy and hold up to years of abuse, but they only hold about 185 yards of line. To date, however, that's been plenty and I've had no trouble with it. I keep both kinds on the boat because I hate using a baitcaster after dark. And, there are just alot of situations where a spinning rig is the better choice because it is so much more precise to cast. I did not know the Catera came in a baitcaster. I have four or five of them and they are all off the shelf at Wal Mart and they're all spinning reels. I know they are good because I have used them for about four or five years and have not had one fail yet. You can't beat that for $39 bucks or so.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Guys,
This was a great read!! I started fishing the Delaware River this past Spring, but have not made it out for Fall yet. I've pretty much just used live bait on some lighter saltwater stuff I had. A great read for gearing up for 2008 Spring. Once you get that first fish on, its all over for life.

Hopefully I'll get my chance to try some lure fishing during the Fall. Its hard to learn about fishing the Delaware River, or really any river, for stripers. Alot of trial and error and on the water time required.