Plumb Island, Merrimack River Report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Plumb Island, Merrimack River Report

How is everyone doing in the river and on the beach? What is working for bait/plugs/lures? Are big stripers there? Any kind of insight would be cool. I’m going this weekend and ill let you know how I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Plumb Island, Merrimack River Report

Hey, welcome to the board. There are a lot of guys here who fish the area, good place to visit. Are you in a boat or on foot?

I only got the boat in a week ago and haven't got any seroius fishing in. Did test out my new schoolie rod and picked up a few with a pearl storm shad at the point, by the party boats on the dropping tide. I've heard of fish to 34" but the big fish will be in soon enough.

Good luck and let us know how it goes this week-end.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM

I got a 38inch on a pearl storm shad 2 weekends ago off the beach next tot he jetty. im gonna try to do the same this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Official Member

When it's the best time to go? What's the best bait to use? I'll go this weekend to the beach to try my new culcutta 400bsv. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
First Mate

Nice job, the base of the jetty can be very productive and a just a nice place to fish and if things slow down take a walk down front beach lot of good water.

Nameless, Welcome aboard. Best time to fish is anytime you can get away.

If you are talking about the point. General rule is the sandbar fishes the best the last two hours of the dropping tide and first hour of the incoming. From the sandbar to the Jetty tide is less important and If I'm on foot I like front beach on the incoming mid to high. But fish don't always follow the rules. If you are fishing bait try a clam or cut herring on a fishfinder rig early season. Worms also work well, but seem pretty expensive to me for bottom fishing. Good luck
Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike10 View Post
Nice job, the base of the jetty can be very productive and a just a nice place to fish and if things slow down take a walk down front beach lot of good water.

Nameless, Welcome aboard. Best time to fish is anytime you can get away.

If you are talking about the point. General rule is the sandbar fishes the best the last two hours of the dropping tide and first hour of the incoming. From the sandbar to the Jetty tide is less important and If I'm on foot I like front beach on the incoming mid to high. But fish don't always follow the rules. If you are fishing bait try a clam or cut herring on a fishfinder rig early season. Worms also work well, but seem pretty expensive to me for bottom fishing. Good luck
Thank you for your info., I'll try this weekend on the jetty.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Good Luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Striper Hunter

I went out on the mack this weekend. I got 2 words: Hot and Zoo. It was insane squared. We managed to squeeze a couple of keepers and some schoolies but we could not stay in there long. I went outside and caught enough macks for the rest of the season. Should be good now. I prefer tinkers over the horse macks anyway.

went to my cod hole, picked up on short and a DOGFISH after I caught the dog, the whole area went dead.

Anyone else go?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba9ner

Anyone else go?

yup.. I spent all of last week fishing..... I'm convinced nobody works anymore....

anyway... monday and Tuesday I spent the morning fishing groundfish on the inshore grounds, I limited out on cod both days by 10:00 and had as many haddock as I cared to clean..both days I filled the tank with Macks and went back and fished them away from the crowd with good results...

Wednesday, with an easterly breeze blowing and clouds threatening, I made it a live line day, I had my bait by 5:15 and was fishing shortly threreafter... the beachfront was good to me....and the top water action was good with a white spook...latter I moved inside the river proper and the action continued, with somewhat smaller fish...

Thursday the mouth was wild, I wired the outgoing from 3:30 AM until daybreak, dragging a few of them into the calmer water on the backside of the bar, a good many pulled the hooks,latter I moved upriver and jigged a bunch of medium fish.. at the top of the tide I tried one of my old flounder holes and limited out on black backs on clams..

friday I gave my weary arms and back a rest, Saturday I shoved off at 5, picked my way throught the boats and fog and set out for old scantum where two friends and I filled a few fish holds with haddock and cod to about 12 lbs... I never touched a piece of bait all day and spent the day pulling a 14oz jig.... the fish were all over it...

what a shock we had back at the river, we were all bundled up in hoodies and jackets, once we reached the toothpick it hit us like a pizza oven....
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Sounds like you had a good vacation Roc.....I was wondering where you've been......
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Plumb Island, Merrimack River Report

Went out to PI this weekend and fished mostly the ocean front. The place was packed with a bunch of idiots mostly drinking and not really fishing. (Im no charlie moore but i really cant stand people who dont know what they are doing and cause problems for the people around them.) I couldent get a spot to fish along the river, jetty or point. Saw a few small fish a 35inch striper and and herd of a couple other keepers. Im hoping that next weekend there will not be as many people and i can fish my spots at will. I think the fish are still moving north, what do you all think?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflandPI40 View Post
What do you all think?
With those crowds,,, I think I'd be fishing somewhere else
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Striper Hunter

I truley envy you Roccus. You obiously know the area like the back of your hand. I hope someday I will find the "spots" and start putting the smack down on the fish. I have so much to learn. Last year the boat was new to me. This year, I feel more confident with my boat but I am still skiddish about putting her in the rocks. Most of the guys I have met tell me that they put their boats CLOSE to the rock piles and other structure that will trear a boat to pieces if you make the wrong move. IT is tough for me to do.

As far as the cod/haddock are concerned, I was a one hit wonder this year. Went out 2 weeks ago and could not even shut the fish box. Went out this week to the same spot and took a suck pill. . I bought some maps from Capt. Seagull and have been studying them often. I hope it will pay off.

Tight lines,
peace
Bubba
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Veteran Elite

Nice going Roc When do we see you '08 photo album start?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
First Mate

Sounds like you had a good vacation Roc. You put in the time, so you are owed the rewards.