Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ceaseless, continuous, unremitting, relentless, persistent, constant Skunkings

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Ok So what do you guys do when the smell of skunk is wafting continuously?
Post your tactics here so the newbie doesnt get too discouraged and quit altogether.
Change of tactics - look for more productive water - slower presentations?

#2 ·
Target smaller fish
Use bait

If I'm really stinkin the joint up I'll get away from the salt for a while and hit the sweetwater.

#6 ·
Jimmy were you thinking of me when you started this thread?! When you say skunked do you mean catching absolutely nothing or just no stripers? We all know I couldn't catch a striper even if I fished out of that guys pond who stocked it up with em', but I do catch plenty of fish. Flukes, blues and the occasional skate... all while I'm going for stripers and using bait. I think I just need to venture out more. So my advice to my fellow newjacks is to explore and try new areas and find you own "spot" and when you do keep it to yourself :redbiggrin:

#7 ·
Jimmy were you thinking of me when you started this thread?! When you say skunked do you mean catching absolutely nothing or just no stripers? We all know I couldn't catch a striper even if I fished out of that guys pond who stocked it up with em', but I do catch plenty of fish. Flukes, blues and the occasional skate... all while I'm going for stripers and using bait. I think I just need to venture out more. So my advice to my fellow newjacks is to explore and try new areas and find you own "spot" and when you do keep it to yourself :redbiggrin:
still no striper?

#9 ·
i wish i could go fishing as there are a huge quantity of fish out there right now. i have never been so depressed about life in general. my buddies caugh 25 and 30 pounders this morning and i would be happy to get skunked armed with this news. i can;t get skunked as i cannot go. c'mon gents, where is your will?

#10 ·
Stripers You need to be out there if you want to catch the fish.

cheech said:
When you say skunked do you mean catching absolutely nothing or just no stripers?
Cheech work the cans and the channel edges.
If i were you I would consider a charter for a day -
for some info to take back for your war room.

#11 ·
Sudsy hit the nail on the head for me. If necessary I downsize the presentation and go with smaller hooks even.
I like to throw big wood plugs. Its fairly easy when the fish are on large bunker and there everywhere
but when its few and far between i switch to storm shads and hunt around muscle beds and rocks for some fish.

#12 ·
I always like Rattlin Chug bugs for poppers... It gives me something to do, when I'm resting my arm from throwing flies.

But Its a little early still. Sand worms on a hook should at least show you some schoolies.
If there are blues anywhere around the stripers won't just be out in the open cruising for fish, they will be clinging to structure and will rarely chase anything but the most tastey treat... quickly, and no more than a few yards.

Keep casting up into the rocks or structure with lures or worms... SOMETHING is bound to hit sooner or later.

#14 ·
if you absolutely have to have a bent rod then go light and small on the tackle- back bays and the calm side of jetty points. i prefer to target larger fish and that means i'll get skunked more often then not. it's ok i'm cool with that but when i know there are fish around and i'm not hooking up my number one solution is to slow down. example? if you're one of the many guys who drag a pencil across the water at the speed of sound try tossing it and instead of whipping the hell out of it slow it down, let it hang for a while, twitch it now and again. this slow down thing takes real patience no matter what you're thowing. if you smoke stop during your retrieve and light up- that;s about the amount of time i'm talking about. think about it- how many times have you seen a guy fightin with a knot in his line have a fish come up and smack his lure while it's sittin still? also, like most guys you have a favorite lure or bait- try something new- for me this year it's the pencil,- you change it up a little.
there is one other thing- enjoy fishing and the time on the water- it isn't just about catching- (ya, i know- like winning isn't important either)

#21 ·
heed the weather pattern. if i had a buck for every skunk prediction man. sometimes ya need a fish more than ya want one. this past weekend is the case. i literally was begging for a fish cuz at the cusp of the break in weather i was never going to give up on them as they can and do surprize us but? all the major weapons or tactics become useless when things turn for the worse. the one of many spots can produce a fish for you but years of skunk analysis has wisdom overshadowing pure luck. and pure luck is being in a position to be successful... if not? then luck becomes bad luck and that's why they call it fishing....never ever give up on this species cuz on any given day, a departure from the norm can arrive and baffle even the saltiest and seasoned of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.