REEL - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default REEL

HI all. I just got a TFO 9 weight rod and now need a reel to put on it. I have never fly fished so all this is completely new to me. Every thing out there seems extremely expensive, do you guys have any suggestions on reels in the $150 range? Thanks in advance
also what is a good line for stripers? I also just order a book on fly fishing so hopefully that will answer a lot of my questions.
Khary
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Fly Reel

HI There,
Welcome to flyfishing. It's true that most reels for a 9 wt are pricey but you can certainly find some good ones for $150. Check out the orvis Batenkill Large Arbor, Lamson Velocity, or Teton. Both LL bean and Cabelas are making some nice reels and back them up as well but I would try your local fly shop first. It is always a good idea to support these local shops and the difference of $$ is often well spent in return for the face time and info these guys have. Ask your shop if they have any closeouts or demo sales. I know Ross Reels is changing their lineup so there maybe some good buys out there.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM

I'm not a fly fishing expert but I have heard from a lot of guys that the Lamson is not the best choice for the money.

For short money the Okuma Integrity seems to be the most popular (again, from what I hear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 03:00 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I built a new 9 wt, 9' St croix this spring, I fitted it witha Orvis battenkill mid arbor, I've taken bass into the mid 29's with it but still want to test it on something bigger (school tuna) I went with orvis's striper special line and loaded the reel with 30lb backing. Here is a link to the project.

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6812
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks guys. I'm gonna check the prices on the reels you suggested and see what fits my budget.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:04 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Bought the Okuma Integrity 10/11 this spring. Got it new on Ebay for something like $60.00. Tried it for awhile.
Went back and bought anouther with 2 extra spools. Both reels and spools were like $160 total.
Large arbor, rim control, one way drag, heavy enough to balance a rod comfortably. I like them a lot (for the money). May not last 10 yrs. but neither may I.
I use rim control almost exclusively (way I learned many moons ago) and can't really comment much on the drag's quality.
These are on 9ft. 9 & 10 weight rods with mostly S/A's WF & DT lines. Plenty of room for backing. Basic nuts & bolts.