Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

any advice for first-timers? Boston area

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jon006 
#1 ·
Hi there! I came across this board while searching for "getting started" tips on striper fishing. I live in the North End of Boston, and I've been watching people haul these gigantic stripers out of the Harbor for years now. I want to get in on the act. I tried last year but never caught a thing. Any tips on what sort of equipment I need and when the best times are to fish? Also, does anyone know the laws regulating Boston Harbor fishing? Thanks in advance for your help!!

#2 ·
First and foremost....Welcome to the site Lemon...

You will find everyone on the site, very informative. My self i fish Rhode Island exclusively, so i wont be much help on where to go in The harbor. I can tell you that you would probably want to start off with nothing less than a 9 foot rod and i good reel to hang on it, something that will handle all those big fish your gonna start catching after visiting the site.

I'm going to send my good friend BostonBoy, to help you out in the Harbor. There are alot of guys on this site that fish that area, so you will be helped momentarily my friend.

once again...welcome to the site.

Tight Lines !!!

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#4 ·
Thank you! I've been going through the beginner's guide and have found it very helpful. For anyone who might be fishing in my area: I am specifically interested in tips on fishing from a very tall bridge, namely the Charlestown Bridge. I'm also wondering about the legality of catching herring for bait (someone told me that it's illegal to fish the locks for them during their runs, but I don't know how else I'd get them).

#5 ·
Hey guys whats up?...I feel so popular :oops:
Welcome to the site lemon :D

I'm on a boat but I'll try to help ya out...

Basically...theres alot of great spots on the Harbor Islands and even around most of Boston...I hear good things about shore fishing in Hull and Winthrop...
...I'm gonna look up some old articles in my closet on surf fishing Boston Harbor...i'll get back to you ASAP...

If you're gonna be bridge fishing...I would get an inexpensive surf rod in the 9 or 10 foot range...any bigger get burdensome...any smaller and your casts will not go as far as they should...
...Most people will fish the down current side of the bridge and drift back cut bait..

You might want to stop by at Fishing Finatics in Everett...Pete will give you every piece of advice he has...he'll be sure to send you in the right direction...

More to come...and I'll be sure to find those articles and post more... :D ...stay tuned...

#8 ·
Scratch that...scanning back fired...
I'll just summarize...

Umass and JFK Library...Take the redline to Umass/JFk...the Harbor Walk should take you to the fishing grounds...cast bait and lures....Try the James Fallon Pier...

Past JFK is Harbor Point...cast bait and lures along the seawall...

Wollaston Beach in Quincy...fish the shoreline between Wollaston and Squantum Yacht Club...also fish the mouth of Black Creek at the southern end of the beach...fish the outgoing tide because it flushes all the bait out of Black Creek...

Try Orient Heights Beach aka Constitution Beach...fish near the skating rink...you can walk down the beach to Belle Island Creek..

Also don't be afraid to explore the Harbor Islands...you can take a ferry most of them...great fishing if you know where to look...

I find that they best way to learn is to ask questions...guys on the beach and at tackle shops should be more than happy to give you some pointers...Thats how I learn a new spot...

...Good luck...and I'm sure the others guys will have their share of info to add...

#9 ·
Good Post About Boston

I spent many hours this past winter reading everything I can get my hands on and many of the spots you mentioned I have read good things.

Check out magazines like On The Water and The Fisherman. If you have a chance check out http://www.fishfinatic.com/ but click on news articles, you are going to see a section "Stripers In The City " check that out I'm sure it will help. Pete is a nice guy, I have seen him at a few bass shows and he is more than willing to help point you in the right direction for bait, tackle & gear as well as general areas for you to work.

Stick around the message board as things heat up you'll get some advice and tips.

#10 ·
Thats funny Dan....i read that article about fishing from the "T". showed some guy sitting in between two commuters, holding a rod and tackle bag, wearing his waders. people must have thought he was just another nut job.....

Imagine if i did the same? you know i wear a huge knife, hahahaha. I'd put my 15 footer together and really be a nuisance, hahahaha.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#17 ·
I have fished that area the past three days and the herring are there however no action on the freshwater side or saltwater side either, Im not convinced that there are a good number of schoolies that have moved in yet, seems like some holdovers getting fat on herring and nothing eles. I plan on fishing the outgoing tonight, tommorrow and sunday from the Charlestown Bridge.

#16 ·
great site, helpful info. I suppose I'm in the same boat as Lemon (er - pun intended) I've recently moved to Scituate and am a NH trout flyfisherman from birth but am eager to learn and try to attain some success with the Stripers in the Boston/South Shore/Hull areas. I've got a boat (but am not taking it out to George's Bank if you know what I mean. Boat can get up/down the coast (17' Grady White w/ 70 hp Johnson). ANY suggestions/tips/advise/profanities would be welcomed from anyone here with knowledge. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.