How did you get started? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 AM

Default How did you get started?

It was 1973, and I was twelve years old. I had been to the beaches in Delaware many times with my parents, and we'd seen people fishing, but had never done it ourselves. Finally, my dad decided to give it a try, and he went out and bought two surf poles and some tackle. I remember I thought it was really great that he was trying something for the first time, and taking me along. We were camped at Cape Henlopen State Park, and we walked out and fished the point where the Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic. I caught a weakfish (sea trout) that was maybe 2 lbs. Afterwards, the baitshop owner went to take my picture, and he turned to my dad and said, "Does your son cuss?" to which Dad replied, "Probably," so he says to me, "Say [email protected]#$y" and I did, and he snapped a Polaroid, and posted it on the bulletin board. Man, was I proud of that! I sure wish I had a copy of that pic today, but that was before we had .jpg's :-) I still get out there once or twice a year, when I visit my parents, who now live in Lewes. I've never caught a lot of fish there (who has?), but Cape Henlopen will always be one of my favorite places in the world to fish.

So, how did YOU catch the bug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Lunker

Wink Re: How did you get started?

i grew up on nantucket and my biology teacher took me and another guy night fishing (back when teachers weren't living in fear of a lawsuit)...i made a bad cast, hooked what my teacher thought was a sea log, and 45 minutes later landed a 45 lb bass......never ever came close to that size from the beach again.......'course if i ever fished as much as i told my parents i was, i am sure i would have caught more...as a kid, claiming you are going fishing clears you of suspicion for the big cooler, the jeep, and staying out all night!!!! Can you say "beach party"???????

LOL

i am sure glad MY kids will never try anything like that on me!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: How did you get started?

I love Nantucket! My brother was in the Coast Guard stationed there. He used to stand on a rock at the mouth of the harbor and cast a plug. For the longest time he didn't catch anything except a lot of teasing from the other guys at the station. Then one day he caught a 32 lb. striper! I also did the best surf fishing of my life there. We were out one day and a school of blues went by. What a blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: How did you get started?

I was born with the bug.I grew up on the shores of Narragansett Bay,my father and his father before him were certifiable surf nuts.On my 5th birthday,sept 10 1970, my dad gave me one of his well worn coffee grinders strapped to a 7 1/2' stiff as a broomstick rod. Caught a ton of bluefish and spent countless hours watching and learning from the old timers. Hooked into my first striper at 10 yrs old,a 24# on a kastmaster.