lures/plugs/crankbaits/poppers from surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default lures/plugs/crankbaits/poppers from surf

Whats the best lures/plugs/crankbaits/poppers from surf any suggestiions want to start giving it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 PM

from what i hear striper swipers are great
Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 PM

There's a guy named Gary2 from another site who makes the most fish catching plugs I've ever seen. His "Slim", "Super Sidekick" and "Tiger" plugs are absolute killers.

He's a friend of mine and I fish with him often and know his work well. I highly, highly recommend them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 PM
LunkHead

So far, for me at least, the best artificial producers have been Storm Wildeye shads, with everything else I own a distant second. I don't know if it's luck or what, but those things have hooked me up as many times as all my other stuff combined. Mind you, I don't catch a great whole lot of fish, but they work for me. As for the size of fish, I have caught my largest fishh to date on clam bellies.
I own a few nice topwater plugs, can't wait for the first time a striper whacks one of those, I have not experienced that yet......blues yes, stripeys no.

Ed
Old 05-24-2005, 11:19 AM

I have had some luck with hopkins spoons and kastmaster luers.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Staff

Every Kastmaster lure I've purchased is currently stuck to the bottom of the Atlantic somewhere along the southcoast of MA. Lost another one on Saturday. Never caught a fish on one, but I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the lure. I'm pretty good at not catching anything in spite of the bait/lure involved :)
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Jacob, when you are throwing Kastmasters, are you beginning your retrieve as soon as it hits the water?

There are some many presentations, but my favorite way to fish is with topwater stuff. Poppers, chuggers, big wood plugs, etc. But I am also fan of the swimbaits :D

Old 05-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Staff

Jonny,
Depends on where I'm fishing, really. If it's sandy bottom, sometimes I'll let it sink and then bump it along the bottom. Have lost most of my lures to rocks though. So I try to keep em off the bottom where it's rocky, reeling it up and letting it flutter down a few feet before reeling again.

I've tried every presentation that I can think of from the shore, with many kinds of lures; metal, soft plastics, crankbaits, topwater plugs, fake eels, Storm Shad, etc, etc. I'll present it one way for 10 minutes or so, then change it up, different speed, depth, etc. I've fished smaller lures successfully for LMB for years, so that's really all I have to go on. Seems like I'd get some kind of hit by now if there were really fish out there. Frustrating.

Water just seems dead around here. Haven't even seen any baitfish, birds just fly by on their way to somewhere else showing no interest in anything happening below. Nothing hitting lures or baits. Once I even poked holes in a bucket of clams, tied a rope to it and threw it out as far as I could, hoping the chum line would attract something (got that idea from Briggs). Nada.