Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

The Best Hook for FLOUNDERS ??

31K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  BigBassJim 
#1 ·
Hi !

I would like to know what kind of hook do you use in order to catch FLOUNDERS?
Octupous Circle Hook work ? the same hook that I use for Stripers.
I have seen those long and narrow hooks in some rigs in the shop but I am not sure if try them. Usually I use circles with fair results.

What kind of hook to use for flounders, size of the hook?

Thank you !!!!

#4 ·
I dont do much fluke/flounder fishing but when on the rare occassion when Im not using ball jigs I'll bait with a worm or spearing / fluke belly on an offset kahle hook.
I once nailed a 44 inch striper on one of those hooks with a tiny piece of bunker.

#13 ·
PS, guys... In regards to this "is it flounder or fluke question"... Fluke are summer flounder and Sole are winter flounder. They all however are flounders. Fluke tend to run a tad larger and a tad browner with less pronounced spots. Also fluke eye orientation is to the left and sole's to the right. And make no mistake, this is a VERY agressive hunter and will often strike at bait in motion over dead sunk bait.

Try mixing the bait up a bit like useing a squid strip and a spearing. Fluke are curious creatures by nature.

Oh and hi guys, it's been awhile.

#15 ·
Ok well i fluke fish every weekend june 20th - september 4th.

and sometimes on week days

so thats like 15-20 trips a summer and i always get like a 3 or 4 lb fish per trip so listen up.

1/0 english hooks with a squid or green bucktail teaser and a spinning blade.
strip of squid like 4-8 inches. than put on a live killie or a spearing or a smelt.

or use a 4/0 hook with the same stuff on it.

I personally bucktail with a rig that i made up myself.

Fluke belly is bad. squid or sea robbin is 10 times better. ive never had luck on fluke belly except blue fish and every dog fish on the reef.

If you can get some live snappers those are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.