Go time for Hudson Stripers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Default Go time for Hudson Stripers

Last night, 12:30 AM-4:30 AM, rain falling as I row into position, second cast, thought I snagged some weeds, a couple of casts later boom had one on for about 5 minutes, man those suckers can put a bend in a 7wt, gone. Continued casting 5-6 casts later another hit, another short fight another long distance release. Rain stops. Maybe I'm just rusty, covering the water as before, 5-6 casts, bang, another hard pull, this one will be the season opener, my arm is getting tired, nah, gone after about 10 minutes. OK, they like the fly, but now I question my hook. It was a modified circle hook, modified by mashing down the barb and straightening out the "circle" before tying on the herring pattern. Hey, you make do with what you can cobble together from Gander Mountain, when your area is devoid of fly shops. ;-)

So I reel in, hunker down in the driftboat, turn on the headlamp, nip off the fly, grab a standard Cowen's baitfish and tie that on. Back to "work", smack, big fish, pulls line off the drag easily, runs to the bottom of pool, sulks, head shakes, tug of war, get a little take a little, fighting with left hand holding the rod, rod extension butted up against my arm, more leverage. Still my arm is tired. Got to get out of the current, I grapple with the anchor rope with my right hand and step on the release pulling enough rope up to get the boat free. Drifting and alternately rowing on port then starboard reeling in slack when I can, to sit in calmer water. Anchored again. The fish is tail slapping at the surface, tiring now, less resistance, about 15 minutes have passed. I horse him to the side of the boat, the net is not big enough. I grab the line and try to lip him, he shakes me off, OK I grab the Boga Grip and haul him in, a nice 34 incher, the camera battery is dead, crap. I did't think of everything. I've only been out an hour & a half and I'm exhausted.

I had seven strikes, five on, and boating two. The second fish was 26 incher. Had a hell of a time rowing back against the wind. A great way to start the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Go time for Hudson Stripers

Nice!!!!! Must be holdovers if they're that big this time of year? Any seal lice?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NausetDog View Post
Nice!!!!! Must be holdovers if they're that big this time of year? Any seal lice?
Didn't see any, but I didn't look too hard either, I was exhausted. ;-)

With the Hudson, you every year, invariably get these early reports, I think its the actual estuary population (holdovers sound too random, but I suppose that is where that population gets its new recruits) that start feeding as soon as the water warms up, I took a temp it was 53.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Outing #2, I thought I'd sneak in another night trip on this high tide at night cycle. Fished from 2AM to 5AM. Amazed at the difference. This go round I had a cloudless sky and a bright moon. And it was cold, really cold, air temp 35, when I took a water temp I was floored, 49.5 to 50.5 trib/estuary about a 4 degree drop, needless to say I had maybe one bump, though the herring were active.

It would be great if all the last down stream USGS tributary gauges had live thermographs that you could access to see if its worth launching. That would be our tax money spent on something useful, no?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Trip #3, air temp 45, water temp Hudson @ 59.0 F, tributary @ 58.5 F. Late start, on water at approximately 1:15AM, no Moon, a sky full of stars, dark and clear enough to see the Milky Way. Tide is already falling, herring present on row up to tideline, set anchor and begin casting with the 7wt. I hear a few stripers feeding around me, about a half hour later the tide has dropped a foot tributary current has increased and I actually spot a striper momentarily near the surface about 15 feet from the boat. A few casts later I get a solid strike at 10 o'clock off the bow about 50 feet away near a grass bank. The fish heads to the bottom with a constant pressure on the rod for a good 10 minutes. I again have to maneuver the boat out of the current and down stream to the pool by pulling up the anchor, one or two hauls and I'm drifting and reeling in slack. The fish tires, turning on his side, I slide him over to the boat and grab the Bogagrip and the leader. The fish, seeing the Bogagrip, panics making a final surge pulling down on the leader breaking the rod tip. No sweat, its got a lifetime guarantee. Bad fish, bad, I lip him with the grip and I grab the camera. Nice 30 inch fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striper 5-7-12.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	16525