West Coast Late September - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Official Member

Default West Coast Late September

Hello All. New forum member as of today. Glad to meet you.

I will be in San Francisco on business in Sept and then plan to stay behind for vacation the last week of Sept. Will be taking birthday present (4 piece, 10 foot Albright) with me plus a 9wt fly rod.

Have never fished the surf on the west coast. Is there a striper bite anywhere along the west coast in late Sept? I have some time to move north or south from San Fran to get to better area so consider a wider area if you have some wisdom to share.

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts from folks familiar with this side of the country.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM
NukinFuts

Default Re: West Coast Late September

Hi there, its been a while for me since I've fished over there. I used to do really well off of Pacifica, close to half moon bay. Another option would be to either book a guide out of the delta, or get on a head boat out of SF. The head boat out of SF will either fish the bay for a variety of species, including Stripers, or will head out under the Golden Gate and fish the coast. Good luck
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Official Member

Thanks. Have been considering a guide as well but if I can stand on my own two feet for "free" and have any chance at all in the surf that would be my pick. There is something about standing on shore and pulling a fish out of the ocean that is hard to beat. I'll do some scouting (Google earth) of the coast near Pacifica and Half Moon Bay and see what I can spot.

On the east coast, the stripers move north and south with the temperatures each season. Do you know if the active zone also moves up and down the west coast or are temperatures just more consistent out there so it is more of a year round bite?

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM
NukinFuts

I don't believe the migration is as prevelent out there as its out here.
They do trend to move out of the bay in the winter and go out in the ocean, where I do not know.
I can provide you with a highly recommended guide in the delta, who takes some big Stripers,
Google up, north wind others, I know a few Gus who use his devices both for fishing and hunting, and they come very highly recommended. Good luck, let us know how you do
Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
NukinFuts

Damn phone, its North wind outfitters
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Official Member

Will check it out as you recommend. Thanks for the additional advice and tips. Looking forward to trip and will for sure report results.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Official Member

A couple more questions for Stripersurg or anyone else familiar with the coast around Pacifica. I read a few articles about that area that made it sound like casting distance was a pretty big key to success so I am now planning on leaving the fly rod home and focusing on slinging hardware as far as I can with a 10 foot Albright surf rod. I know longer would be better but that is the rod I can travel with (4 piece rod) so that's the one I'll have. I have a collection of 3 to 4 ounce lures - some swimmers - some surface poppers. Unless someone has local knowledge, I would try to work both the surface and deeper in the water column with these lures. So, does anyone know if there is consistently more success on the surface or deeper when fishing for stripers near Pacifica? Would anyone go so far as to say swimmers during daylight and surface poppers at night should be "Plan A"? Or, like most places, does their mood change around and you need to change up your offering to try to match what they are looking for at the time?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Official Member

http://theangle.net/pictures/striped-bass/
take a look at the stripers caught up in the delta with fly fishing gear.....
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Official Member

Super looking fish! If I had more time and a boat I'd love to explore more of the Delta with a fly rod. I basically have a couple of days based out of Pacifica and my own two feet so I think I am going to focus on a few high tides with the surf rod. From what I am reading late September may be a little late for fishing the ocean side.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 AM
NukinFuts

Dave, your selection of lures and rod will suffice. Go out there and give it a go. Go to the Pacifica pier, and fish to the right and left of the pier, a few hundred yards either side of it. If you luck out and see others fishing the surf, using similar methods, go introduce yourself to them and explain what you are doing, your traveling, minimal amount of time etc... and I'm sure they would help you out.
One other thing, the waves out there car be very hazardous, the sand/beach does not gradually drop off, it's walk a few feet in, and the next step your swimming....be careful and use caution.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the advice and in particular the drop off warning. I am going to take some waders but mostly to keep the spray off with a rain coat over top. Not planning to get out far and will watch the waves for sure. I like your idea about fishing north and south of the pier. Am not planning to get up on the pier but near it sounds like a good place to start. I have read that when a lot of folks are fishing the pier they are almost chumming the water and you can get the whole food chain a little stimulated even if you are not using bait yourself.

Thanks again for the good tips. The trip is getting closer so soon I hope to be posting some results instead of just stealing everyone's ideas.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
NukinFuts

Yep, good luck out there. It can be real fun, but then again, it can be dead, and you catch nothing. If for some reason, the Striper's aren't around, but you want to catch something, rig up to fish the bottom, lot's of surf perch, king fish, cabazone, and small ling cod around, for the two later ones, fish closer to the rock cliffs, you should catch something. Cabazone & lings taste mighty fine too. Don't freak out over the cabazone having greenish. turquoise flesh (yes, seriously), it's natural, and nothing wrong with it, although the first time seeing it, freaked me out.
Give us an update on how you do, good luck & be safe
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Official Member

Out here in SF, and want to I've you a local report.

The stripers never really made the trip doe
Wn from the river. I have zero in the Bay his year. On a good year it's several hundred.
All the rocks and reefs I usually fish in the Bay are empty.
The beaches I fish are empty.
The piers and jetties I fish in the Bay are empty.

Don't know why? Happened about 6-7 years ago too.

But the fish, at least small ones, are to be had in the Delta. Small as in 12-20". Unfortunately that's mostly a boat thing.

My last trip up there was late April, and the fly guys were killing it! We had maybe 75, and the long rog guys were right there!!!

Sorry for bad news, but this year, the bass just aren't here. :-(

FISHNFF
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Official Member

Thanks Fishnff. That is some valuable information to have. I might even shift my plan to try a one day trip with a guide in the Delta. I don't mind fishing with low probabilities of success but when a whole season has been off, I don't expect it to turn around on the two days I am there.

I'll blend what you and stripersurge have told me about into some kind of a plan.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Official Member

Well, I had one morning for fishing on this trip. Not really enough time to try much of anything. I did walk out out my motel in Pacifica before dawn and fished two coves. I fished the incoming tide up to high tide and ran out of time and had to go. No hits. A friend with some local connections also reported that this season was a bust so I was not really expecting much to happen. That said, it beat sleeping in and I can now say that I have fished the surf on both coasts. That is not as good as saying I have caught stripers on both coasts, but again, it is better than sleeping in and I am glad I got out there.

Thanks for the help in preparing for this trip gentlemen. You provided helpful information. I probably just did not have enough time available to put some of it to use.