Braided line - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Braided line

Going out tomorrow night and I am using braided line for the 1st time. 20 LB powerpro and fishing from shore/rocks. What are some of the things I should know about using braided line? I am wondering if I should wear gloves as I have heard it can cut you easily. If I do land a striper should I not try to pick up the fish by the line? I know a lot of it will be trial and error but just want to know what to be prepared for

Thanks
DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Braided line

when using braided line 1 major thing to watch is your end eye on your pole unless they are meant for spider or braided line they can get a cut or a wear mark
Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 PM

Yes, steel guides will grove fairly quickly

The most important thing to remember is that if you have a loose drag and you cast a heavy lure or weight the drag will slip. That slip of the drag will cause the line to slide along your casting (index) finger and cut you like a razor.

I always use casting guards. $1 at most tackle shops

Name:  LeatherCastingGuard.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  2.3 KB

Also, there's no line stretch so you don't have to set the hook as hard. In fact if you set it too hard and the fish is fairly close you can rip the hook out of the fished mouth, especially with a stiff graphite rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

as you are out tomorrow, remember when this happens --
"[email protected]&$&*A!
you are now in the land of the wind loop......
the mass of line caught in your guide(S) has caused you to yell some profanity very loudly...
at this stage you are perplexed and wondering what to do and how to do it. the fish are biting..'
you are handicapped by the event unfolding (literally)
and you are saying "calm down... listen to what zim said"
your first reaction is to haphazardly try to unscramble the mess and make it worse. not good.... the moment has come to be calm cool and collect your thoughts. it's a nightmare zim... how in the world did this happen? did you wish this on me??
this scrambled mass of line is caught by only one loop that collected a wad of dozens of loops to form a collection of what appears to be knots..
this is where you have patience and an Edward Scissorhands approach. fluff the "knotted mass" with your hand holding the main "knot if you will" this will unfold and continue to unfold and as the mess is slowly puffed up with your fingers you can see the main knotted loop. this is where it is not forgiving if you are hasty and in a hurry. you can make it worse or you can be patient and pick the stuck knot out with your fingernail if possible but do not use any pick or sharp object. once the tightened loop is pulled open it is a sort of puff it up -pull out the loop - and let it untangle kinda job. the first virgin wind loop (if your lucky) will not be but a few loops cinched down by the pressure of the cast. but///// a bad one is all you need to freak you out. just bear in mind this may or may not happen. you need to keep the line winding on the reel tight on the retrieve or it will be loose on the spool, and upon casting will get ahead of itself coming out of the guide, and loop around itself or the guide or both.. remember this tid-bit as you will not want to forget zim's prediction.... your mission, "should you decide to accept it" is to NOT allow the mangled mess and keep from hysteria.. like always, in ten seconds your braid will self destruct. good luck zim///

it would be a good idea to attach a fluorocarbon shock leader to the end of your braid and the problem of handling a fish on the leader is solved and overall a better application as we can cover the why's and reasons later on. "knot for this is and albright (modified is better) and what else? oh yes.... power pro? you had better had packed that line on your spool wet and if you didn't you should put it back on it's original spool = soak it in water and spool it on wet. that slick sheet is unforgiving as it is.. and having said that - your spool is backed with some mono i should hope you remembered?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Its a good idea to keep a spare spool around for your reel.
Wind knots happen, especially at night. Sometimes undetected deep in the spool.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

we've had fun back then didn't we?
this internet is amazing stuff. instant gratification and instant ahead of the curve prevention and education. god i wish we had this years back.. gents on the surf wanted no part of teaching anyone anything unless you were lucky enough to fall into good graces like we did or didn't. long road to learning eh?? well, i feel gratification to help someone get on the right foot and as always never think of myself and make em learn the hard way like me. that is not what we decided we would do around here.. sometimes we can lose track of that as life sheet and selfish ambitions gets in the way of clear sober unaffected thought and thinking.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Pro Staff

John,
Another thing you can do to help keep windknots to a minimum is to not overfill the spool. Don't fill it more than about 1/8" from the edge of the lip on your spool. An overfilled spool will throw many more windknots than you would otherwise have to deal with. They happen, but making sure that the line is under at least some tension as you reel it in helps keep the frequency down as well. Ditto on the mono or flouro leader for safer handling of the fish as it comes to hand.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
as you are out tomorrow, remember when this happens --
"[email protected]&$&*A!
you are now in the land of the wind loop......
the mass of line caught in your guide(S) has caused you to yell some profanity very loudly...
at this stage you are perplexed and wondering what to do and how to do it. the fish are biting..'
you are handicapped by the event unfolding (literally)
and you are saying "calm down... listen to what zim said"
your first reaction is to haphazardly try to unscramble the mess and make it worse. not good.... the moment has come to be calm cool and collect your thoughts. it's a nightmare zim... how in the world did this happen? did you wish this on me??
this scrambled mass of line is caught by only one loop that collected a wad of dozens of loops to form a collection of what appears to be knots..
this is where you have patience and an Edward Scissorhands approach. fluff the "knotted mass" with your hand holding the main "knot if you will" this will unfold and continue to unfold and as the mess is slowly puffed up with your fingers you can see the main knotted loop. this is where it is not forgiving if you are hasty and in a hurry. you can make it worse or you can be patient and pick the stuck knot out with your fingernail if possible but do not use any pick or sharp object. once the tightened loop is pulled open it is a sort of puff it up -pull out the loop - and let it untangle kinda job. the first virgin wind loop (if your lucky) will not be but a few loops cinched down by the pressure of the cast. but///// a bad one is all you need to freak you out. just bear in mind this may or may not happen. you need to keep the line winding on the reel tight on the retrieve or it will be loose on the spool, and upon casting will get ahead of itself coming out of the guide, and loop around itself or the guide or both.. remember this tid-bit as you will not want to forget zim's prediction.... your mission, "should you decide to accept it" is to NOT allow the mangled mess and keep from hysteria.. like always, in ten seconds your braid will self destruct. good luck zim///

it would be a good idea to attach a fluorocarbon shock leader to the end of your braid and the problem of handling a fish on the leader is solved and overall a better application as we can cover the why's and reasons later on. "knot for this is and albright (modified is better) and what else? oh yes.... power pro? you had better had packed that line on your spool wet and if you didn't you should put it back on it's original spool = soak it in water and spool it on wet. that slick sheet is unforgiving as it is.. and having said that - your spool is backed with some mono i should hope you remembered?
LUUUUKE, I am your Fah-ther. LUUUKE, I am your fah-ther.

Some things out of my control though are this was a gift and the reel was already spooled with the braid so I doubt the store put it on wet and it does seem like it is loaded to the max. Perhaps I should take off about 20 yards before I hook up.

Backed with mono? I honestly do not know.

Yes I always use a fluorocarbon leader so I will with the braid as well.

Seriously though.....thank you. I am sure it will be a learning experience
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

take it off onto another spool of some sort. you will then see if it has mono backing and you should not go out without knowing that cuz you'd be in for some sad day of fishing if it doesn't. wet the braid and respool it. if it has no mono backing - tie some on the braid and spool it on with braid WET. spool it up till it is almost full but bear in mind you will need to incorporate the shock leader as well. you won't waste much as the wet braid will pack on tighter and with a wee bit less diameter.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Braid sux
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Pro Staff

John,
I forgot to mention. Always close your bail by hand after the cast when using braid. Don't just crank the handle to close the bail, as many times this will trap a loop of line across your spool resulting in a knot on the next cast. Like anything else, it takes some time to get used to.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro Staff

By the way, how did you guys do last night down where you were?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Braid sux
and it sux why?
you really have to be more specific when responding to your own thread.
you can only learn from your mistakes/failures/and experiences. as well as your success should that apply.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
By the way, how did you guys do last night down where you were?
Stayed at original area for about 45 minutes. 4th cast I had a good size fish almost landed. When he hit he pulled it down hard and got heavily tangled in seaweed. After about 10 minutes I finally got him close to shore and all I could see was this huge trail of seaweed and then from the back of the trail I saw the last half of his body and pretty good size tail. Then he took me out about 30' again. Got him back in close and then I got nailed with a large wave that soaked me and took my cap off my head and as I recovered he was gone....took my plug ( one that gunny gave me ) and my 4' fluoro leader and swivel so it was the braid know that let go

Next cast same thing happens and snapped off in the seaweed. Got sick of the dirty water even though fish were there and went to a different spot I had scouted out earlier in the day a few miles down the road and met call_me_ishmael there but we had no luck there.

How about you?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro Staff

Couple small fish in the 25-30 inch range. Fat. Looked like they've been eating well.